Recent research has shown that most of us spend our time online these days. And it’s no surprise, as more and more people are using social media for communication in everyday life! A majority of this activity takes place on sites like Facebook or Instagram where you can scroll endlessly through posts from your friends with opinions about whatever topic comes to mind at any given moment.
Companies want to make the most of their social media, so why not get paid for it by working extra as a social media moderator?
You’ll be able to earn some cash while also gaining insight into what’s happening around the company you work with on social media channels such as Youtube, Facebook, and Instagram. Your primary job is to moderate and check out what people are writing and mentioning online about the brand.
Pros of being a social media moderator
- Can be done anywhere and anytime (depending on the employer).
- There are tools that can help you manage multiple clients.
- Great skill to have on your Resume.
- You don’t have to physically interact with people.
Cons of being a social media moderator
- Be prepared for many negative comments and complaints.
- Chatting on the computer all day can get tiring.
- Boring if you like physical interaction.
- Can take up a lot of your time if you don’t know when to rest, as social media operates 24/7.
Here are 4 top tips and tricks to help you when becoming a social media moderator
- A good way to stay productive is to use social media management tools and time management tools to ensure that you’re not procrastinating and wasting time scrolling and looking at what other people are doing .
- If you’re not sure where to start, look at what other big brands are doing and try to emulate them. They’ve done the research, so there’s no harm in following their footsteps.
- Keep up with the latest trends and social media apps/networks. That way you’re always updated and might get gigs when new platforms appear.
- Always handle complaints and negative comments with a positive attitude. Aggressive/rude replies will often make things worse and may land you in hot water.
Social media moderator earning potential
The average salary for a Social Media Manager from this side hustle is around $20-$25 an hour, so the potential for income will depend on how many hours you work a month.
Some people do this as the main job as well, so it’s possible to earn good money if you were thinking of a change/switch in career paths. Better yet, if you already have a good following on your social media channels, you could potentially sell sponsored posts to advertisers and companies in exchange for money or free items!
Sites to use to become a social media moderator or social media manager
My list of the best side hustle ideas for 2023 that'll make you extra income
- Become a freelance writer
- Get paid searching the Internet
- Do retail arbitrage online
- Become a Fiverr freelancer
- Become a social media moderator
- Become a tasker
- Become a virtual assistant
- Become a website & app tester
- Get paid listening to music
- Earn money on Reddit
- Create online courses
- Get paid using apps
- Publish articles on Vocal
- Get paid to give expert answers
- Peer-to-peer renting sites
- Join marketing focus & research groups
- Become a "micro" tasker
- Join research studies on Respondent
- Become a voiceover actor
- Become a transcriber
- Do paid surveys online
- Join WFH Facebook Groups
- Become a customer service representative
- Become a mystery shopper
- Become a resume writer
- Start a blog
- All side hustle ideas >>