If you're good at listening and typing, then this side hustle is for you. You can make some extra cash by using your skills in providing transcribing services to people!
People are always looking for someone to type up all sorts of things. Whether it’s a video caption or podcast transcription, you can find work online if your typing skills are up to the task!
People want this done quickly and professionally so they don't have to wait long in between notes from different clients which means there is plenty of work to go around, no matter your experience.
Pros of transcribing
- Plenty of job opportunities available.
- Can be done after hours, making it the perfect side hustle.
- Experienced transcribers get very good pay.
- Can be done anywhere, if you have a laptop and an internet connection.
- Chance to improve your typing and listening skills.
- Some jobs are as simple as transcribing captions for videos.
Cons of transcribing
- Inconsistent income if you don’t keep working.
- There might be deadlines to meet for certain tasks.
- Expect low pay at the start if you’re inexperienced.
- Might be boring if you get a gig that doesn’t interest you.
Here are 4 top tips and tricks to help you when becoming a transcriber
- Practice makes perfect. A good benchmark is to be able to type 65 to 80 words a minute. That way you can get better gigs.
- Find a place to work where it’s peaceful and less distracting as you will need to focus when working.
- Get a pair of good headphones to help you hear better so your transcriptions are more accurate.
- Try and deliver your work as punctually as possible. That way you’re setting yourself up for more gigs and in the future.
Transcriber earning potential
The faster you type, the more money there is to be made. Most places pay by audio-per-minute rate, so you will need to finish tasks faster for higher earnings potentials. If you can type between 60-80 words a minute, expect rates of around $15 to $20 per hour.
Sites to use to become a transcriber
My list of the best side hustle ideas for 2022 that'll make you extra income
- Become a freelance writer
- Get paid searching the Internet
- Do retail arbitrage online
- Become a Fiverr freelancer
- Become a social media moderator
- Become a tasker
- Become a virtual assistant
- Become a website & app tester
- Get paid listening to music
- Earn money on Reddit
- Create online courses
- Get paid using apps
- Publish articles on Vocal
- Get paid to give expert answers
- Peer-to-peer renting sites
- Join marketing focus & research groups
- Become a "micro" tasker
- Join research studies on Respondent
- Become a voiceover actor
- Become a transcriber
- Do paid surveys online
- Join WFH Facebook Groups
- Become a customer service representative
- Become a mystery shopper
- Become a resume writer
- Start a blog
- All side hustle ideas >>