As technology advances, more and more people are turning to the internet for help with their everyday problems. If you enjoy assisting people in solving their issues, then this is the perfect job for someone like yourself. Companies today are always looking to hire customer service representatives in order to help support customers with whatever problem they might be experiencing online or over phone call/email etc.
As a customer service rep, you have an important role to play. You are the voice of your company and your job is to look after the customers by helping them with any problems they might be experiencing in a phone call or via online chat. From tech support to sales assistance, there’s no shortage in demand for this role.
Big companies like Facebook and Google are constantly hiring new reps, while smaller independent companies offer outsourced remote customer service management services, making job opportunities for this role wider than ever.
Pros of being a customer service representative
- Flexible work hours and schedules.
- Jobs can be done remotely.
- High income potential if you keep working.
- Companies are always hiring new reps.
- Sharpen your communication skills.
- Training included for most places.
- Little to no skills or qualifications required.
Cons of being a customer service representative
- It can be tiring dealing with people for long lengths of time.
- Can be tiring from long hours of talking to people on the phone.
- You may be abused by people over the phone, causing stress.
- You may be tracked by your employer to ensure you’re hitting a certain quota
- Some jobs might require a hybrid support/salesperson, meaning you might have to sell products to customers.
- You might be forced into taking certain shifts during periods of high demand.
Here are 4 top tips and tricks to help you become a better customer service representative
- Be as honest as you can for customers, such as the ability to help them, wait times and other relevant information.
- Try to stay calm when dealing with angry customers. You’re doing this online so you don’t have to worry about getting physically abused.
- We all know that customer support can be frustrating, so try and sympathise with the caller and give them as much positive feedback/assistance as possible.
- Try to engage in small talk during periods where the customer is required to wait, this might make them feel better.
Customer service rep earning potential
The income potential for customer support jobs is very high, and it’s often the deciding factor between keeping customers happy or defecting to another brand.
If you’re good with technology then your earnings can go even higher; some full-time workers make between $25 to $65K+ annually – but with part-timers, hourly rates average around $10-$30 per hour.
Sites to use to become a austomer service representative
- Amazon Virtual Jobs
- Liveops Customer Service Roles
- Remote Customer Service Jobs
- Sykes Remote Working Jobs
My list of the best side hustle ideas for 2023 that'll make you extra income
- Become a freelance writer
- Get paid searching the Internet
- Do retail arbitrage online
- Become a Fiverr freelancer
- Become a social media moderator
- Become a tasker
- Become a virtual assistant
- Become a website & app tester
- Get paid listening to music
- Earn money on Reddit
- Create online courses
- Get paid using apps
- Publish articles on Vocal
- Get paid to give expert answers
- Peer-to-peer renting sites
- Join marketing focus & research groups
- Become a "micro" tasker
- Join research studies on Respondent
- Become a voiceover actor
- Become a transcriber
- Do paid surveys online
- Join WFH Facebook Groups
- Become a customer service representative
- Become a mystery shopper
- Become a resume writer
- Start a blog
- All side hustle ideas >>