Sites and apps are being launched left, right and center. The problem is that when these creators want to make sure their new creations work as well on a day-to-day basis for users like you or me, they have no other choice but to try them out in real life by getting feedback from people who may be willing participants! That’s where the software testing side hustle comes in.
Imagine being able to give your feedback about apps or websites for free from the comfort of home. All you have to do is play around with prototypes of user interfaces of these webpages and apps, report your findings and experience and give feedback on how it can be improve. That’s a short explanation of what a website testing side hustle and user testing jobs are.
To summarise, what you’re doing is going through the customer journey and sending back valuable information to the creators. It’s a great gig that requires a few things:
- A computer/phone that works properly.
- Stable internet connection
- Good quality camera/microphone to log all your findings.
- Good ability to communicate your findings.
The best part about this? You can get paid around $5 to $100 to be a tester!
Pros of being a website and app tester
- Sites are always looking for testers.
- International market (can be done in most countries).
- Reputable companies use trustworthy sites (low risk of getting scammed).
- Regular payments / Steady income.
- Good pay rate.
- Work from home.
Cons of being a website and app tester
- Privacy risk (Software downloaded to your device for recording the screen/microphone). Can however be easily deleted.
- Time consuming (Some can take 45 mins to over 1 hr).
- Findings may be rejected if it’s not done to a certain standard.
- Certain qualifications might be needed for certain tests.
Here are 4 top tips and tricks to help you when trying a user testing side hustle
- Read instructions and understand the requirements to avoid your test getting rejected.
- Describe your actions in detail during recorded tests so they can see what you’re doing.
- Complete the tests on time to avoid getting blacklisted (you might not get new tests).
- Use a spare computer or delete the recording software when you’re not testing if you want extra security/privacy.
Website & app tester earning potential
The side income of testing side hustles and app testing jobs is very good. On average, they pay out around $10 for every 20 minutes or so spent on a test – that’s not bad at all!
The more online testing jobs you do correctly, the higher chance you’ll get offers for additional tests, so follow the instructions and try to make as few mistakes as possible!
Sites and side hustle apps to find online side hustles for an app and website tester
My list of the best side hustle ideas for 2023 that'll make you extra income
- Become a freelance writer
- Get paid searching the Internet
- Do retail arbitrage online
- Become a Fiverr freelancer
- Become a social media moderator
- Become a tasker
- Become a virtual assistant
- Become a website & app tester
- Get paid listening to music
- Earn money on Reddit
- Create online courses
- Get paid using apps
- Publish articles on Vocal
- Get paid to give expert answers
- Peer-to-peer renting sites
- Join marketing focus & research groups
- Become a "micro" tasker
- Join research studies on Respondent
- Become a voiceover actor
- Become a transcriber
- Do paid surveys online
- Join WFH Facebook Groups
- Become a customer service representative
- Become a mystery shopper
- Become a resume writer
- Start a blog
- All side hustle ideas >>