If you’ve been contemplating building a website for your business or blogging endeavors and started exploring your options, chances are you’ve come across Wix. Wix is one of the most popular website building platforms in the world and the fact there’s a free Wix plan is just one of the numerous reasons why.
Read my Wix review to find out what’s so special about this tool and where it falls short.
Over the last seven years, Wix’s user base has increased from 50 million to 200 million. That’s the direct result of the site builder’s user-friendliness, intuitive technology, and constant improvement.
Since we’re transferring huge chunks of our everyday lives into the internet realm, having an online presence is the bare minimum for practically every business and brand. However, not every entrepreneur is a seasoned coder or can afford to hire a professional web developing team, which is where Wix comes in.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to Use — To get started, you can simply pick a template you like and start adjusting it to your vision with the help of the drag-and-drop editor. All you need to do to add a design element to your site is drag and drop it where you see fit. No need to worry about coding at all!
- Wide Selection of Website Templates — Wix gives its users access to more than 500 professionally designed and fully editable templates. You can browse Wix’s main categories (Business & Services, Store, Creative, Community, and Blog) or search for specific templates by entering keywords in the ‘Search all templates…’ bar.
- Fast Website Design With Wix ADI — In 2016, Wix launched its Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI). Simply put, this is a tool that builds an entire website based on your answers and preferences, thus saving you the trouble of coming up with a website concept and executing it.
- Free and Paid Apps for Extra Functionality — Wix has an amazing market with both free and paid apps that can make your site more user-friendly and accessible. Depending on the type of your website, Wix will select a few options for you, but you can also explore all the apps through the search bar as well as the main categories (Marketing, Sell Online, Services & Events, Media & Content, Design Elements, and Communication).
- Free SSL for All Plans — SSL certificates are a must for all businesses and organizations as the secure sockets layer (SSL) protects online transactions and secures customer information.
- Free Hosting for All Plans — Wix provides its users with fast, secure, and reliable hosting at no extra charge. Wix hosts all the sites on a global content delivery network (CDN), meaning your site’s visitors are directed to the server closest to them, which leads to short site loading times. You don’t have to install anything; your free web hosting will set up automatically the minute you publish your website.
- Mobile Site SEO Optimization — Many freelancers, entrepreneurs, and small business owners overlook the importance of mobile SEO. But having an SEO-friendly mobile version of your site is an absolute must today and Wix knows it. That’s why this website builder features a mobile editor. It allows you to improve your mobile website’s performance and loading time by hiding certain design elements and adding mobile-only ones, resizing your mobile text, rearranging your page sections, and using the Page Layout Optimizer.
- Free Plan Is Limited — Wix’s free plan is rather limited. It provides up to 500MB of storage and the same amount of MB for bandwidth (limited bandwidth can negatively impact your site’s speed and accessibility).
- Free Plan Doesn’t Include a Custom Domain Name — The free package comes with an assigned URL in the following format: accountname.wixsite.com/siteaddress. To get rid of the Wix subdomain and connect your unique domain name to your Wix website, you must purchase one of Wix’s premium plans.
- Free and Connect Domain Plans Show Wix Ads — Another annoying detail about the free plan is the display of Wix ads on every page. In addition to this, the Wix favicon appears in the URL. This is the case with the Connect Domain plan as well.
- Premium Plan Covers Only One Site — You can create multiple sites under a single Wix account, but each site will have to have its own premium plan if you want to connect it with a unique domain name.
- Migrating From Wix Is Complicated — If you ever decide to move your site from Wix to another content management system (WordPress, for example) due to its limitations, you’ll probably need to consult and/or hire an expert to do the job. That’s because Wix is a closed platform and you’ll need to transfer the content from your website by importing the Wix RSS feed (a summary of updates from your site).
TL;DR Despite its drawbacks, Wix is an excellent website builder for beginners. Thanks to its intuitive interface and multiple free and paid tools, this platform allows you to bring your website vision to life (and maintain it) without having to write a single line of code.
Wix Key Features
Large Library of Website Templates
As a Wix user, you have access to more than 500 gorgeous professionally designed website templates. These are divided into 5 main categories (Business & Services, Store, Creative, Community, and Blog) to meet specific needs.
You can discover subcategories by simply hovering over the primary category that encompasses the type of website you want to launch.
If you have a really detailed idea that none of Wix’s existing templates seems to match, you can choose a blank template and let your creative juices flow.
You can start from scratch and pick all the elements, styles, and details yourself.
However, the blank page approach might be too time-consuming for multi-page and content-heavy websites as you’ll have to design each page individually.
One of the main reasons for Wix’s increasing popularity is, of course, its drag-and-drop editor.
Once you choose the right Wix template for your online store, blog, portfolio, or tech company (you can narrow down your options by filling in the type of website you want to build at the very beginning), the Wix editor will allow you to make all the adjustments you want. You can:
- Add text, images, galleries, videos and music, social media bars, contact forms, Google Maps, Wix chat button, and many other elements;
- Choose a color theme and edit the colors;
- Change page backgrounds;
- Upload media from your social platform profiles (Facebook and Instagram), your Google Photos, or your computer;
- Add apps to your website to make it more functional and user-friendly (more on Wix’s app market below).
Wix ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence)
Wix’s ADI is practically a magic wand for creating a professional website. You literally don’t have to move a single design element.
All you need to do is answer a few simple questions and make a few simple choices (onsite features, theme, homepage design, etc.), and Wix ADI will design a beautiful site for you in just a few minutes.
This is ideal for both beginners and tech-savvy business owners who want to save time and build their online presence as soon as possible.
Built-in SEO Tools
Wix doesn’t overlook the immense importance of SEO optimization and SERP rankings. The robust SEO toolset this website builder provides is proof of that. Here are some of the most useful SEO features every Wix website comes with:
- Robots.txt Editor — Since Wix creates a robots.txt file for your website automatically, this SEO tool allows you to change it to better inform Googlebots how to crawl and index your Wix site.
- SSR (Server Side Rendering) — The Wix SEO suite includes SSR as well. This means that Wix’s server sends data directly to the browser. In other words, Wix generates an optimized and dedicated version of your website pages, which helps bots crawl and index your content more easily (the content can be rendered before the page is loaded). SSR yields multiple benefits, including faster page loading, better user experience, and higher search engine rankings.
- Bulk 301 Redirects — The URL Redirect Manager allows you to create permanent 301 redirects for numerous URLs. Simply upload your own CSV file and import a maximum of 500 URLs. Don’t worry, Wix will notify you via an error message if you made a mistake setting up the redirects or if there’s a 301 loop.
- Custom Meta Tags — Wix generates SEO-friendly page titles, descriptions, and open graph (OG) tags. However, you can further optimize your pages for Google and other search engines by customizing and changing your meta tags.
- Image Optimization — Another strong reason why Wix is the perfect site builder for beginners is the image optimization feature. Wix automatically reduces your image file size without sacrificing quality to maintain short page load times and ensure a better user experience.
- Smart Cashing — To shorten your site loading times and improve your visitor’s browsing experience, Wix automatically caches static pages. This makes Wix one of the fastest website builders on the market.
- Google Search Console Integration — This feature allows you to confirm domain ownership and submit your sitemap to GSC.
- Google My Business Integration — Having a Google My Business profile is the key to local SEO success. Wix allows you to set up and manage your profile using your Wix dashboard. You can easily update your company info, read, and reply to customer reviews, and increase your web presence.
You can also connect your Wix website with essential marketing tools such as Google Analytics, Google Ads, Google Tag Manager, Yandex Metrica, and Facebook Pixel & CAPI.
Wix App Market
Wix’s impressive app store lists more than 600+ apps, including:
- Wix Forum;
- Wix Chat;
- Wix Pro Gallery;
- Wix Site Booster;
- Social Stream;
- 123 Form Builder;
- Wix Stores (one of the best eCommerce features);
- Wix Bookings (for premium plans only);
- Event Viewer;
- Weglot Translate;
- Get Google Ads;
- Wix Pricing Plans;
- Paid Plan Comparison;
- PayPal Button;
- Customer Reviews; and
- Form Builder & Payments.
Let’s take a close look at four of the most practical and handy Wix apps: Wix Chat, Event Viewer, Wix Stores, and Wix Bookings.
The Wix Chat app is a free communication app developed by Wix. This online business solution gives you the chance to interact with your visitors by getting notifications every time someone enters your site. This is an extremely useful feature because it allows you to build and nurture your customer relationships which can lead to more sales. Plus, you can chat with your visitors from both your computer and your phone.
The Event Viewer app is a must if you’re an event organizer. It allows you to sync to many ticketing and streaming apps, including Ticket Tailor, Reg Fox, Eventbrite, Ticket Spice, and Ovation Tix. But my favorite thing about Event Viewer is that it enables you to integrate with Twitch and broadcast your live streams. If you’re not sure whether this app suits your needs, you can take advantage of the 15-day free trial and see how it goes.
The Wix Stores app is used by more than 7 million businesses across the globe. It allows you to set up a professional online store with custom product pages, manage orders, shipping, fulfillment, and finances, get your sales tax automatically calculated, monitor inventory, offer your customers in-cart previews, and sell on Facebook, Instagram, and across other channels.
The Wix Booking app is a great solution for companies and individuals who offer one-on-one appointments, intro calls, classes, workshops, etc. It helps you manage your schedule, employees, attendance, and clients from any device and gives you the chance to receive secure online payments for your services. This app is available worldwide for $17 per month.
Wix’s Site Contacts feature is a convenient way to manage all of your website’s contacts. By clicking on ‘Contacts’ in the ‘Ascend by Wix’ section of your dashboard, you’ll be able to:
- View all your contacts and their info in a separate contact card (email address, phone number, the products or services they’ve bought, and any special notes),
- Filter your contacts by labels or subscribed status, and
- Grow your contact list by importing contacts (from a Gmail account or as a CSV file) or adding new contacts manually.
I really like the fact that when someone completes a contact form on your site, subscribes to your newsletter, purchases a product from your online store, or interacts with your website in some other way, they are automatically added to your contact list with the information they provided.
This tool comes in handy when you want to get in touch with your current and potential customers through a powerful email marketing campaign. Speaking of…
Wix Email Marketing
The Wix Email Marketing tool is part of Wix Ascend — a built-in suite of marketing and customer management tools. It’s an amazing feature every business needs because it helps you create and send effective email marketing campaigns to engage your target audience and boost website traffic.
By sending regular updates and announcements about special promotions you’ll remind your contacts you’re here and have plenty to offer.
The Wix Email Marketing tool features an intuitive editor that helps you write mobile-friendly emails with ease. What’s more, this tool allows you to set up automatic email campaigns and monitor their success in real-time, with the help of the integrated data analytics tool (delivery rate, open rate, and clicks).
There’s a catch, though. Every premium Wix plan comes with a pre-installed limited Ascend plan. To make the most of Wix Email Marketing, you’ll need to upgrade your Ascend plan (no, Ascend plans and Wix premium plans aren’t the same thing).
The Professional Ascend Plan is the most popular one and is perfect for entrepreneurs and business owners who want to generate high-value leads through email marketing. This plan costs $24 a month and includes:
- Ascend branding removal;
- 20 email marketing campaigns a month;
- Up to 50k emails a month;
- Campaign scheduling;
- Campaign URLs connected to your unique domain name.
I admit that the fact the Wix Email Marketing feature isn’t part of Wix’s premium site plans is annoying. However, Wix gives you the chance to test-drive the Ascend plan of your choice and receive a full refund within 14 days.
When it comes to startups, Wix is practically a one-stop shop. In addition to building your website without the bother of coding, Wix also allows you to create a professional logo and thus develop a unique brand identity.
The Logo Maker feature gives you two options: make a logo yourself or hire an expert.
If you choose to test your logo-making skills, you’ll start by adding the name of your business or organization.
Once you select your industry/niche, decide how your logo should look and feel (dynamic, fun, playful, modern, timeless, creative, techy, fresh, formal, and/or hipster), and answer where you intend to use your logo (on your website, business cards, merchandise, etc.).
Wix’s Logo Maker will design multiple logos for you. You can, of course, pick one and customize it. Here’s one of the logo designs Wix whipped up for my site (with a few minor changes by me):
This is a great option if you’re on a tight budget and can’t afford to hire a professional web designer. The only annoying thing about this feature is that you must purchase a premium plan to be able to download and use it. Plus, Wix’s logo plans are valid for one logo only.
Wix Pricing Plans
As this Wix review has pointed out, Wix is a great website-building platform for newbies, but there are also plans suitable for more experienced entrepreneurs and business owners. See my Wix pricing page for an in-depth comparison of every plan.
|Wix Pricing Plan||Price|
|Connect domain plan (displays Wix ads)||$4.50/month|
|Business & eCommerce plans||/|
|Business basic plan||$17/month|
|Business unlimited plan||$25/month|
|Business VIP plan (full suite)||$35/month|
Wix’s free package has many limitations, which is why I strongly recommend using it for a short period. You can use this plan to familiarize yourself with the website builder’s basic features and tools and get an idea of how you can curate your web presence with them.
Once you’re certain this platform is a good fit for you, you should consider upgrading to one of Wix’s premium plans.
The Free Plan includes:
- 500MB of storage space;
- 500MB of bandwidth;
- Assigned URL with Wix subdomain;
- Wix ads and Wix favicon in your URL;
- Non-priority customer support.
This plan is ideal for: everyone who wants to explore and test-drive the Wix free website builder before switching to a premium plan or going with another website building platform.
Connect Domain Plan
This is the most basic paid plan Wix offers. It costs only $4.50 a month, but it has plenty of drawbacks. The appearance of Wix ads, the limited bandwidth (1GB), and the lack of a visitor analytics app are the most significant ones.
The Connect Domain Plan comes with:
- The option to connect a unique domain name;
- A free SSL certificate that protects sensitive information;
- 500MB of storage space;
- 24/7 customer care.
This plan is ideal for: personal use as well as businesses and organizations that are just entering the online world and haven’t decided what their website’s main purpose is yet.
Wix’s Combo Plan is slightly better than the previous package. If the Connect Domain Plan suits your needs but the display of Wix ads is a dealbreaker for you, then this is the perfect choice for you.
For 4 more bucks or a total of $8.50 a month, you’ll be able to remove Wix ads from your site. Plus, you’ll have:
- Free custom domain for a year (if you purchase a yearly subscription or higher);
- Free SSL certificate;
- 2GB of bandwidth;
- 3GB of storage space;
- 30 video minutes;
- 24/7 customer care.
This plan is ideal for: professionals who want to establish their brand’s credibility with the help of a unique domain name but don’t need to add much content to the site (a landing page, a simple blog, etc.).
The Unlimited Plan is by far the most popular Wix package. Its affordability is only one of the reasons for this. From $12 per month, you’ll be able to:
- Connect your Wix website with a unique domain name;
- Receive a free domain voucher for 1 year (if you purchase a yearly subscription or higher);
- Remove Wix ads from your site;
- Showcase and stream videos (1 hour);
- Rank higher in search results with the help of the Site Booster app;
- Enjoy 24/7 priority customer support.
This plan is ideal for: entrepreneurs and freelancers who want to attract high-quality customers/clients.
Wix’s VIP Plan is the ultimate package for professional sites. For $24.50 a month, you’ll have:
- Free domain for a year (valid for select extensions);
- Unlimited bandwidth;
- 35GB of storage space;
- 5 video hours;
- Free SSL certificate;
- Visitor analytics app;
- Professional logo with full commercial rights;
- Priority customer care.
This plan is ideal for: professionals and experts who want to build an exceptional web presence.
Business Basic Plan
The Business Basic Plan is a must if you want to set up an online store and accept online payments. This package costs $17 per month and includes:
- Secure online payments and convenient transaction management via the Wix dashboard;
- Customer accounts and fast checkout;
- Free domain voucher for a full year (if you purchase a yearly subscription or higher);
- Wix ad removal;
- 24/7 customer care.
This plan is ideal for: small and local businesses that want to receive secure online payments.
Business Unlimited Plan
Wix’s Business Unlimited Plan costs $25 a month and includes:
- Free domain voucher for a whole year (if you purchase a yearly subscription or higher);
- Wix ad removal;
- Unlimited bandwidth;
- 10 video hours;
- Local currency display;
- Automated sales tax calculation for 100 transactions per month;
- Automated email reminders to customers that abandoned their shopping carts;
- 24/7 customer support.
This plan is ideal for: entrepreneurs and business owners who want to expand their operations/grow their company.
Business VIP Plan
The Business VIP Plan is the richest eCommerce plan the website builder offers. For $35 per month, you’ll be able to:
- Showcase an unlimited number of products and collections;
- Accept secure online payments;
- Sell subscriptions and collect recurring payments;
- Sell on Facebook and Instagram;
- Automate sales tax calculation for 500 transactions a month;
- Remove Wix ads from your site;
- Have unlimited bandwidth and limitless video hours;
- Enjoy priority customer care.
This plan is ideal for: large online stores and businesses that want to equip their websites with useful apps and tools for an amazing onsite brand experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Wix a Reliable Website Builder?
Yes, it is. Wix is a publicly traded company with excellent adherence to regulations, laws, and guidelines relevant to its business processes. Every Wix website has built-in security, including:
– SSL certificate for safe and private HTTPS connections;
– Level 1 PCI compliance for the best payment industry standards;
– ISO 27001 & 27018 certificates for personal information protection and website security risk management;
– DDoS protection for dependable web hosting;
– 24/7 website security monitoring;
– 2-step verification.
Is Wix Good for Beginners?
Absolutely! Wix is the single best beginner-friendly website builder thanks to its user-friendly environment and a huge library of professionally designed templates. DIYers can build their website without any coding knowledge whatsoever. All they need to do is pick a template, customize it with the help of the drag-and-drop editor, produce high-quality content, and publish it!
Do Professionals Use Wix?
100% yes! However, tech-savvy entrepreneurs and business owners use Wix’s premium plans as they offer many more useful features and other advantages. In addition to this, the Wix Code (now Velo by Wix) allows individuals with solid technical skills to build, manage, and deploy professional web apps super-fast and create the website of their dreams. Plus, Velo gives experienced web developers the chance to integrate great third-party APIs (Stripe, Twilio, and SendGrid to name a few).
Can a Wix Website Be Hacked?
That’s highly unlikely, as every Wix website is protected with multi-layered security. The most important layer is the SSL certificate. This means that your visitors can view your website via an HTTPS (hypertext transfer protocol secure) connection. Wix also provides 24/7 website security monitoring for extra protection.
What Are the Disadvantages of Wix?
Wix is a fantastic website builder, but it’s not without flaws. One of its biggest disadvantages is the lack of live customer support in the form of a live chat. Another extremely annoying thing about Wix is that it doesn’t allow for a template switch.
This means that once you pick a website design template, you’ll have to work with it forever. To avoid choosing a template that’s not quite ideal for your business needs, you should take advantage of Wix’s free plan or use their 14-day free trial. This is how you’ll be able to explore many different options without wasting a single dime. Go here to check out good Wix alternatives
Wix Review: Summary
Wix reigns supreme in the ‘website builders for beginners’ category. Despite its limitations, the Wix website builder is a fantastic choice for those who are just entering the internet world and don’t want to know the first thing about coding.
With its impressive design template collection, user-friendly interface, and rich app market, Wix makes creating professional websites an easy and enjoyable task.
Wix is a bit pricey
Wix is popular but what I don't like about it is that the plan starts at $10. For someone starting a business from scratch, this is not a smart move. Although the features are cool, I would rather go for low-priced alternatives than this one.
Wix is Just Fair
The starting price that Wix offers is just fair for the features and the freebies that you'll get. If you want to get a better service, then Wix is the right one for you., Yet, if you're not willing to pay for a Wix plan, then it's up to you.
I sell various goods online and Wix is not just working well for me. I still like the features of Shopify though it's a bit costly than Wix. Yet Wix's blogging platform is pretty impressive. Maybe this is not just for me but Wix could work for you well. So better weigh your choices.
Satisfied Wix user
I have been using Wix for my website and my business has been growing for almost 3 years now. I'm happy with the platform as it's very easy to use. You can even start with a free plan/trial with limited features. Once you decide to avail yourself of the other features, you can sign up for a paid plan that suits your style and needs. Selling products or services is quite easy along with the marketing tools. It also comes with a blog that lets you manage your content well.
Best of the best
Creating my resume site was as easy as drag n drop point n click. It took me less than an hour, from signing up to launching my site with a free .com. Very impressive! Thx Wix