The freelance economy, also known as the gig economy, is rapidly growing and Fiverr has become one of the major freelance marketplaces in the world. Although Fiverr is a great place to find freelancers, there are better Fiverr alternatives ⇣ out there
Fiverr.com (and Fiverr Pro) is a freelance marketplace where you can find services ranging from graphic design and music/video editing to marketing and copywriting. Fiverr is a good place to start when you are looking to strike a balance between quality and affordability.
- Best overall Fiverr alternative: Upwork ⇣ is one of the largest online freelance marketplaces and I love its simplicity. You tell them about your project and they match you with suitable freelancers. Then, you go through the matches and select the one you want to work with.
- Runner-up, Best overall: Freelancer.com ⇣ has almost 57 million employers and freelancers on its marketplace. I love its transparency — you receive free bids for your project and you only pay for the work when the gig is completed.
- Best “premium” alternative to Fiverr: Toptal ⇣ only approves 3% of all the freelancers who sign up and will cost you more, so if you worry more about your budget than the quality of the work you need done, Toptal might not be the best platform for you.
Although some Fiverr-based freelancers provide exceptional service, most of the sellers on the platform just aren’t worth spending money on if you want high-quality work.
Best Websites Like Fiverr For Finding & Hiring Freelancers
Here’s my list of the 8 best Fiverr competitors right now. Just like Fiverr, these sites are great for finding and hiring freelancers at affordable prices.
- Official website: www.upwork.com
- Upwork is one of the oldest and most trusted freelancing platforms on the internet.
- Services include development and IT, design, sales and marketing, finance and accounting, writing and translation, engineering and architecture, admin and customer support, HR and training, and legal.
- Unlike Fiverr, Upwork lets you post a job and wait for freelancers to send you proposals. To reach out to you and let you know they’re interested in your projects, freelancers and agencies need to use Connects — Upwork’s virtual currency. Upwork calculates the number of Connects needed to submit a job proposal based on the projected job value as well as the marketplace demand.
- Upwork doesn’t have a sign-up fee. You can join the popular work marketplace and get quotes from freelancers free of charge.
Why use Upwork instead of Fiverr
If you want to get a job done by an expert, then Upwork is the way to go. You get to pick from hundreds of professionals who’ve applied to your job posting. Keep in mind that Upwork will cost you a little more than Fiverr if you want quality results.
Thanks to its sophisticated algorithms, Upwork narrows down your choice to the absolute best candidates for your project. Upwork also allows you to check the profiles, portfolios, and reviews of the individuals and agencies you’re considering hiring, as well as to conduct a video interview before making the final decision.
If you want to save yourself the bother of creating job posts and going through shortlists of candidates, you can browse and buy projects with clear expectations from the very beginning.
Safety is another great reason to go with Upwork. Upwork makes sure you get exactly what you pay for regardless of the type of your contract. On hourly projects, Upwork counts keystrokes and takes random screenshots of your hire’s screen so you can monitor their progress.
On fixed-price projects, you have to make milestone deposits, but these funds are released after you approve the work submitted by your freelancer.
Why use Fiverr instead of Upwork
If you want your first podcast episode edited, it makes sense to get it done for a low price. Go with Fiverr instead of Upwork if your project needs to be done well without breaking the bank. Fiverr is a good option if you need something done fast, too.
- Official website: www.freelancer.com
- Freelancer.com has been helping millions of businesses find freelancers for almost 13 years now.
- The platform is quite similar to Upwork and has over 56 million registered freelancers and employers.
- On Freelancer.com, you can find experts in over 1,800 skill set categories, including software architecture, web design, graphic design, logo design, 3D modeling, C++ programming, ghostwriting, copywriting, proofreading, AWS (Amazon Web Services), and many others.
- You can host a design contest where all the designers on the platform can compete.
- Freelancer.com is free to sign up. You can also post projects, receive bids from freelancers, check their portfolios, and discuss your expectations for free.
Why use Freelancer instead of Fiverr
If you want to get high-quality work done and stay within your budget, then you should go with Freelancer.com.
Freelancer lets you post projects for freelancers to bid on (you can even publish local projects like babysitting, gardening, etc.), browse freelancers and make direct hires, and use the recruiter service to find the right professional for you.
Freelancer even allows you to start design contests where you reward prize money to one or multiple entries.
One of my favorite things about this freelance marketplace website is the possibility to pay your hires in over 39 currencies.
Additionally, the Milestone Payments system releases your payments once you give the green light, i.e. confirm that you’re content with the work. This makes Freelancer one of the most secure platforms to choose from.
Why use Fiverr instead of Freelancer
Although Fiverr hosts thousands of talented freelancers who are experts at what they do, the platform is most suitable for employers who want to get some particular kind of work done quickly for a low price.
- Official website: www.peopleperhour.com
- Although it’s not as popular as some of the other platforms on this list, PeoplePerHour has been helping companies access quality freelance workers since 2007.
- More than 1 million businesses across the globe trust PeoplePerHour.
- All freelancers on PeoplePerHour.com have been approved by an in-house moderation team to ensure all buyers get top-grade services.
- You can join PeoplePerHour for free. There are no upfront payments or hidden fees.
Why use PeoplePerHour instead of Fiverr
Hiring freelancers is a hit-and-miss game where you miss more than you hit. To find great freelancers, you usually have to shell out a few thousand bucks before you finally find a good candidate for the job.
With PeoplePerHour, you can rest assured that whoever you hire knows what they are doing as they’ve previously been vetted by a team of moderators.
What’s more, PeoplePerHour has its own ranking algorithm called CERT. CERT stands for Community, Engagement, Repeat Usage, and Trust, and ranges from 1 to 5. Every freelancer starts at CERT1. Once a freelancer starts making money through PeoplePerHour, they’ll get upgraded to CERT2 and CERT3.
CERT5 is the highest CERT level and it’s awarded only to freelancers with exceptional qualifications and performance. As a buyer, this can help you select the perfect bidder.
With PeoplePerHour, you can rest assured that whoever you hire knows what they are doing.
Why use Fiverr instead of PeoplePerHour
If you want to access highly qualified freelancers without the guesswork, go with PeoplePerHour. However, if you want to hire cheaper freelancers who can get the job done in a satisfactory manner, go with someone from Fiverr based on their level and reviews.
- Official website: www.toptal.com
- Toptal advertises itself as the platform where businesses go to “Hire the Top 3% of Freelance Talent.”
- The Toptal network features seasoned software engineers and coders; expert UI/UX, visual, and interaction designers; finance experts; digital and technical project managers; and digital product managers.
- Toptal is trusted by industry giants and startups like Bridgestone, Shopify, Duolingo, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Airbnb.
- Read my detailed Toptal review here.
Why use TopTal instead of Fiverr
Toptal isn’t the platform you visit to find and hire unvetted freelancers who offer website-building services for less than $50. If you want to hire one of the top 3% of the world’s freelancers, then Toptal is the marketplace you’re looking for.
The name Toptal comes from Top Talent. Toptal prides itself on being an elite network of freelance experts from all around the world. Toptal has a very strict screening process and it usually accepts fewer than 3% of the thousands of applications it receives every month.
This process consists of 5 steps: 1) a comprehensive English language interview evaluation and a personality assessment; 2) an in-depth skill review; 3) live screening; 4) test projects; and 5) continued excellence.
If safety is high on your list, you’ll be glad to learn that Toptal’s hiring process is practically risk-free. Once you talk to a Toptal industry expert, you’ll be matched with a hand-picked freelancer. You can test your collaboration on a trial basis and pay only if you’re happy with the results.
Why use Fiverr instead of TopTal
If you are just starting out and are more concerned with your budget than the quality of the work you need to be done, then Toptal might not be the best platform for you. There, the prices start at $60 per hour.
Unlike other freelance marketplace websites on this list (for example, Upwork), Toptal only features freelancers within a select few skill set categories.
There are no writers or social media marketers for hire on this exclusive platform.
- Official website: www.guru.com
- Guru’s platform is home to 800,000 employers from around the world.
- It’s estimated that $250 million have been paid to freelancers through Guru.
- Whether you need an article written or a new logo designed for your brick-and-mortar or online business, Guru’s platform has got you covered.
- Guru has a 99% customer satisfaction rate.
Why use Guru instead of Fiverr
Guru provides you with access to millions of experienced freelancers you can hire. If you want to find a talented freelancer you can build a long-term professional relationship with, go with Guru.
Guru allows employers to browse 2 million experts with all-time transaction data, post jobs for free, manage multiple freelancers on the same project, and pay invoices only after reviewing and approving their hire’s work.
Another great reason to choose Guru is the 2.9% handling fee for each invoice you pay. Plus, if you pay your invoices using eCheck or wire transfer, Guru will give you a complete cash refund on the fee.
Why use Fiverr instead of Guru
Choose Fiverr if the cost of the freelance service you need is a major factor, as well as if you want to pay only for what you need.
- Official website: www.codeable.io
- Codeable.io is your one-stop shop for all things WordPress. Some of the WordPress-related services offered on Codeable include theme development and customization, plugin development and customization, eCommerce development, design, security and performance, and troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Unlike most of the other freelance platforms reviewed in this article, Codeable matches you with a freelancer instead of you choosing one yourself.
- Codeable is 100% risk-free as there’s no obligation to make a hire even when you receive an estimate.
Why use Codeable.io instead of Fiverr
Whether you want to get an error fixed on your WordPress-powered site or need a custom plugin developed, Codeable has skilled freelance developers who can help you out.
Codeable has an in-house matchmaking system that picks the most suitable WordPress developers for you based on your project requirements. Codeable provides you with a shortlist of candidates so you can hire an expert fast. Plus, there’s a single-price algorithm that eliminates undercutting and overpricing.
Codeable will offer you a partial or full refund if you aren’t satisfied with the freelancer’s work (the amount of the refund depends on the amount of work already completed).
You only pay if the work is in line with the agreement between you and the developer. You also have 24/7 access to a client support team you can reach via email.
Why use Fiverr instead of Codeable.io
If you want to get something on your WordPress site fixed for a low price, then Fiverr is the way to go. If your website doesn’t run on WordPress, then Codeable is of no use to you.
- Official website: www.outsourcely.com
- Outsourcely offers startups easy access to its talent pool of over 400,000 freelancers specializing in design and multimedia, sales and marketing, web development, content writing, customer service, and administrative support.
- More than 50,000 startups have used Outsourcely to find and hire talented remote workers.
- There’s no commission fee on the services provided by freelancers on the Outsourcely platform.
Why use Outsourcely instead of Fiverr
Although the people behind Outsourcely advertise the website as a freelance-hiring platform for startups, you can use it to get all types of work done even if you are way past the startup stage.
If you want easy and quick access to competent and experienced freelancers, Outsourcely is a much better option than Fiverr.
Outsourcely can help you build long-term professional relationships with highly educated and verified experts and, as a result, significantly reduce your payroll.
Outsourcely allows employers to communicate with remote workers via instant private chat, video and voice messages, and direct email.
Additionally, businesses can take advantage of the live video and voice interviewing feature to get a more accurate insight into a candidate’s English speaking level, soft skills (critical thinking, problem-solving, digital literacy, teamwork, etc.), and personality.
Why use Fiverr instead of Outsourcely
Fiverr is known for its five-dollar price tag and, as such, it’s a platform focused on providing cheap services rather than on providing the highest-quality work. If your budget is tight and you are just starting out, my advice is to go with Fiverr.
- Official website: www.truelancer.com
- Although it’s relatively new, Truelancer has made a name for itself by providing quality work at extremely affordable prices.
- According to Truelancer’s official site, more than half a million projects have been completed through the platform.
- Truelancer features mostly freelancers from low-income countries like India, Pakistan, and the likes. There are over 1 million remote workers on this website.
Why use Truelancer instead of Fiverr
If you want to get some work done quickly and don’t care much about its quality, then this platform might be a good option for you. When it comes to custom work, Truelancer is a better choice than Fiverr.
Truelancer’s freelancers might not meet everyone’s quality standards, but that doesn’t mean you should overlook this platform. Truelancer has a 100% refund policy, meaning you’ll get your money back if you aren’t satisfied with your hire’s work.
Why use Fiverr instead of Truelancer
If you have a job in mind that doesn’t require much custom work and need to get it done for a low price, then go with Fiverr. If you’re patient enough, you’ll find the right candidate for your project.
What is Fiverr?
Fiverr is a platform/marketplace for buying and selling online services packaged as “gigs”.
These services range from web design, graphic design, videos, voice-over, and copywriting to music, podcast, and video editing. If you run an online business, the services offered on Fiverr can help solve most of your problems.
Fiverr started out as a platform with five-dollar services, hence the name Fiverr. Although it’s famous for the $5 price tag, the platform has outgrown the original purpose and now offers all types of services ranging from $5 to $1,000.
Fiverr Pro is one of the latest additions to the popular freelance marketplace website. Here, you can find and hire Fiverr’s top freelancers.
To earn the pro status, each applicant has to go through a rigorous process during which Fiverr’s team checks their background information, evaluates their expertise, and monitors their ongoing performance.
This is how Fiverr ensures buyers receive stellar quality and service when making a hire through Fiverr Pro.
Benefits of Fiverr
If you own an online business, you already know that most of the tasks on your list (like writing the About Us page for your site) aren’t worth your time. Most of these tasks don’t need to be done perfectly; they just need to be done.
It would be wise to outsource these tasks to someone on the internet who does these things for a living and thus save precious time. This is where Fiverr comes in.
Fiverr offers a balance between quality and affordability. If you want quick, cheap work done, Fiverr is where you should go.
But if you are a serious business owner with some complex needs that need to be taken care of, Fiverr may not be the best freelance platform for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Fiverr and how does it work?
Fiverr is a marketplace where service providers sell their products and services in small, functional bundles. Each “gig” on Fiverr starts from $5, hence the name “Fiverr”. The seller has complete control over what they are selling. Plus, they can decide how much time it will take them to perform the task, how many revisions they are willing to accept, and they can choose whether or not they are willing to do additional work after the initial $5 has been paid. This is great for buyers because it means that you can find someone who will complete small tasks quickly and easily.
What are the pros of Fiverr?
Fiverr is a leading marketplace connecting freelancers (sellers) with customers (buyers). It’s extremely cheap; you can hire freelancers for as little as $5. There’s a huge range of freelancers available for gigs (jobs) in almost any category you can think of. Plus, the customer support team is helpful and always takes the buyer’s side.
What are the cons of Fiverr?
It’s important to keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Don’t expect the quality of the work you paid $5 for to be outstanding (especially for complex and challenging tasks). Some sellers set unreasonable deadlines and you have to pay extra to get the work delivered faster.
What are the best alternatives to Fiverr in 2022?
If you want some work done quickly and for a low price, Fiverr is the freelance marketplace you need. But if you want to get a job done by an industry expert, then freelance marketplace websites like Upwork and Toptal are much better alternatives to Fiverr.com.
Best Fiverr alternatives 2022 – Summary
Is Fiverr good for finding freelancers?
Yes Fiverr serves its purpose as a place for finding cheap freelancers.
However, there are a bunch of superior freelance marketplace sites out there.
If you want to get some work done on a budget without compromising its quality, you should go with a site like Upwork or Freelancer.com. Both offer access to millions of freelancers with a wide variety of skill sets and are the best Fiverr competitors right now.
If money isn’t a major issue for you, I strongly suggest going with Toptal. Toptal advertises itself as the platform that helps you hire the top 3% of freelance talent on the internet.
|Serial||Logo and Links||Features||Button|