The freelance economy, or gig economy, is rapidly growing and Fiverr has become one of the major freelance marketplaces out there. Don't get me wrong, Fiverr is a great place to find freelancers but there are better Fiverr alternatives ⇣ out there
Fiverr.com (and Fiverr Pro) is a freelance marketplace where you can find services ranging from graphic design to music/video editing to marketing and copywriting. Fiverr is a good place to start when you are looking for a cross between quality and price.
- Best overall Fiverr alternative: Upwork ⇣ is one of the largest online freelancer marketplaces and I love the simplicity of Upwork. You tell them about your project and they'll match you with freelancers, then go through the matches and select the one you want to work with.
- Runner-up, Best overall: Freelancer.com ⇣ has almost 30 million freelancers on their marketplace. I love its transparency as you receive free bids for your project and you only pay for the work when the gig is completed.
- Best “premium” alternative to Fiverr: Toptal ⇣ only approves 3% of freelancers who sign up and will cost you more, so if you worry more about your budget than the quality of work, then TopTal might not be the best platform for you.
Although some service providers on Fiverr provide exceptional service, most of the sellers on the platform just aren't worth spending money on if you want high-quality work.
Best Fiverr Alternatives in 2021
Here's my list of the 8 best Fiverr alternatives right now, competitor sites like Fiverr for finding and hiring freelancers at affordable prices.
|Serial||Logo and Links||Features||Button|
- Official website: www.upwork.com
- Upwork is one of the oldest and most trusted freelancing platforms on the Internet.
- Services range from Graphic Design to App Development and everything in between.
- Unlike Fiverr, on Upwork, you post a job and then freelancers send you proposals for the work with a bid.
Why use Upwork instead of Fiverr
If you want to get a job done by an expert, then Upwork is the way to go. You get to pick from hundreds of experts who apply to your job posting. Upwork will cost you a little more than Fiverr if you want quality results.
Why use Fiverr instead of Upwork
If you want your first podcast episode edited, it makes sense to get it done for cheap. Go with Fiverr if your job just needs to be done well.
- Official website: www.freelancer.com
- Freelancer.com has been helping millions of businesses find freelancers for a very long time.
- The platform works similar to Upwork and has over 32 million registered freelancers.
- You can host a design contest where all the designers on the platform can compete.
Why use Freelancer instead of Fiverr
If you want to get high-quality work done and have a good budget, then you should go with Freelancer.com. They even allow design contests where you reward the prize money to the best entry.
Why use Fiverr instead of Freelancer
Although Fiverr has thousands of talented freelancers who are experts at what they do, Fiverr is most suitable if you want to get work done quickly for a low price.
- Official website: www.peopleperhour.com
- Although not as popular as some of the other platforms on this list, PeoplePerHour has been around since 2007.
- All freelancers on the platform are first interviewed before they are added to the platform.
Why use PeoplePerHour instead of Fiverr
Hiring a freelancer is a hit and miss game where you miss more than you hit. To find great freelancers, you usually have to shell out a few thousand bucks before you finally find a good one for the job.
With PeoplePerHour, you can rest assured that whoever you hire knows what they are doing.
Why use Fiverr instead of PeoplePerHour
If you want great freelancers without the guesswork, go with PeoplePerHour. If you want cheaper freelancers who can get the job done, hire someone from Fiverr based on the reviews.
- Official website: www.guru.com
- Guru's platform gives you access to over 3 Million freelancers from around the world.
- Whether you need an article written or need a new logo designed for your brick and mortar business, Guru's platform has got you covered.
Why use Guru instead of Fiverr
Guru offers you access to millions of experienced freelancers you can hire. If you want to find an experienced freelancer you can build an ongoing relationship with, go with Guru.
Why use Fiverr instead of Guru
Choose Fiverr if the cost is a major factor and if you want to pay for only what you need.
- Official website: www.toptal.com
- The TopTal advertise themselves as the platform where people go to “Hire The Top 3% Freelance Talent.”
- Trusted by industry giants like Hewlett Packard and Airbnb.
- Read my detailed Toptal review here.
Why use TopTal instead of Fiverr
TopTal isn't the platform you go to hire 3rd world freelancers who offer to build websites for less than $50. If you want to hire one of the Top 3% Talent in the world, then TopTal is your platform.
Unlike other platforms on this list like Upwork, TopTal only offers freelancers within a select few different skillsets. There are no Writers or Social Media Marketers for hire on this platform.
Why use Fiverr instead of TopTal
If you are just starting out and worry more about your budget than the quality of work, then TopTal might not be the best platform for you. Their prices start at $60 per hour.
- Official website: www.codeable.io
- Codeable.io is your one-stop shop for all things WordPress.
- Unlike other platforms, Codeable's Team matches you with a freelancer instead of you choosing one yourself.
Why use Codeable.io instead of Fiverr
Whether you want to get an error fixed on your site or need a custom plugin developed, Codeable has freelance developers to get it done.
They offer a full refund policy if you don't like the work. You only pay if the work is to your satisfaction. You also 24/7 access to a client support team you can reach via email or phone.
Why use Fiverr instead of Codeable.io
If you want to get something on your site fixed for cheap, then Fiverr is the way to go. If your site doesn't run on WordPress, then Codeable.io is of no use to you.
- Official website: www.outsourcely.com
- Outsourcely offers startups easy access to its talent pool of over 400 thousand freelancers.
- No markup fee on the services provided by freelancers on the platform.
Why use Outsourcely instead of Fiverr
Although they advertise their platform as a freelance hiring platform for startups, on Outsourcely's platform, you can get all types of work done even if you are way past the startup stage.
If you want easy and quick access to real, experienced freelancers, Outsourcely is much better than Fiverr.
Why use Fiverr instead of Outsourcely
Fiverr is known for its $5 price tag and as such is a platform focused more on providing cheap services than on providing the highest quality services. If your budget is tight and you are just starting out, go with Fiverr.
- Official website: www.truelancer.com
- Although relatively a newcomer, Truelancer has made a name for themselves by providing quality work for cheap prices.
- Mostly offers freelancers from 3rd world countries like India, Pakistan, and the likes.
Why use Truelancer instead of Fiverr
If you want to get some work done quickly and don't care much about the quality, then this platform might be a good option. Truelancer is a better platform than Fiverr for custom work.
Why use Fiverr instead of Truelancer
If you have a job in mind that doesn't require much custom work and need to get it done cheap, then go with Fiverr.
What is Fiverr
Fiverr is a platform/marketplace for buying and selling online services packaged as “gigs”.
These services range from web design, graphic design, videos, voice-over, copywriting to music/podcast/video editing. If you run an online business, the services on Fiverr can help solve most of your problems.
Fiverr started out as a platform with $5 services thus the name Fiverr. Although it is famous for the $5 price tag, the platform has outgrown the original purpose and now offers all types of services ranging from $5 to $1,000.
A recent addition is Fiverr Pro, here you can hire top freelancers that are verified, and hand-vetted for stellar quality and service.
Benefits of Fiverr
If you own an online business, you already know that most of the tasks on your list (like writing the about page for your site) aren't worth your time. Most of these tasks don't need to be done perfectly; they just need to be done.
It would be wise to outsource these tasks to someone on the Internet to save time and get it done from someone who does it all day long. This is where Fiverr comes in.
They offer a cross between quality and price. If you want quick, cheap work done, Fiverr is where you should go.
But if you are a serious business owner with some serious needs that need taken care of, Fiverr may not be the best platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the pros of Fiverr?
Fiverr is a leading marketplace connecting freelancers (sellers) with customers (buyers). It's cheap, you can find freelancers from as little as $5. There's a huge range of freelancers available, available for gigs (jobs) in almost any category you can think of. Helpful support that always takes the buyer's side.
What are the cons of Fiverr?
Sometimes you get what you pay for, don't expect the quality of work to be outstanding for something you paid $5 for (especially for complex and challenging jobs). Some sellers set unreasonable deadlines and you have to pay extra to get the work delivered faster.
What are the best alternatives to Fiverr?
If you want quick, cheap work done, Fiverr is where you should go. But if you want to get a job done by an industry expert, then freelance marketplaces like Upwork and Toptal are better alternatives to Fiverr.com.
Best Fiverr alternatives – Summary
Is Fiverr good for freelancers?
Yes Fiverr serves its purpose as a place for finding cheap freelancers.
But there are a bunch of good sites like Fiverr out there.
If you want to get your work done on a budget without compromising quality, you should go with a site like Upwork or Freelancer.com. Both offer access to millions of freelancers with a wide variety of skill sets and are the best Fiverr competitors out there.
And if money isn't a major issue for you, go with Toptal. They advertise themselves as the platform that helps you hire the top 3% of talent on the Internet.