Voiceover work can be a great way to earn some extra cash online. The best part about it? You can do it anywhere and anytime, with minimal experience or equipment. Whether you have a voice talent or just looking into adding another source of income, this side hustle is definitely worth exploring.
It’s never been easier to find a voice-over job. There are a lot of sites out there that you can join for free and get started! All you need is somewhere quiet enough where you can work and a working microphone. Some examples of voiceover work you could be doing are:
- Corporate videos
- Video games
- Short films
Pros of being a voiceover actor
- Work whenever and wherever you want.
- High chance of repeat clients, especially if you do well.
- No qualifications or special skills needed.
- High income potential.
- Build your portfolio while getting paid as you work.
Cons of being a voiceover actor
- Expect lower pay when you first start off, but don’t get exploited by clients.
- Better paying jobs can be quite competitive.
- Some jobs require you to be able to speak in different accents.
- You might need to invest in good equipment if you want high quality audio.
Here are 4 top tips and tricks to help you when becoming a voiceover actor
- Speak as naturally as possible. You might start off nervous and start speaking too fast or too slow, so try to pace yourself.
- If you can do accents and sounds well, make sure to include it in your profile and resume. Attach a clip of yourself doing the voiceover.
- Set your rates accordingly. If you don’t have good equipment, don’t overprice yourself as it might deter clients from hiring you.
- It might be hard to get work at the start if you don’t have much experience, so stay positive and always keep your pitches interesting!
Voiceover actor earning potential
Voiceover for non-broadcast work can bring in anywhere from $200 to $600 for a job, but it all depends on what type of voice artist you are. Short films might be one-off jobs, whereas corporate videos and video game work can be recurring if you do a great job.
As your portfolio grows and people start recognizing talent, you may start to get TV commercial jobs that pay thousands.
Sites to use to become a voiceover actor
Voices is the leading global online platform connecting professional freelance voice talent with buyers of audio and voice-over products. Users leverage the site to find the freelance talent they need to complete animation, documentary, corporate content, film, radio, video games, and other projects. Voices helps service clients and voice talent in over 160 countries and have been featured in Forbes, Entrepreneur, The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNNMoney, and more.Voices.com: #1 Voice Over Marketplace
- Mandy: Voiceover Jobs, Voiceover Auditions & Castings
- Bunny Studio
- Boldago: Voice Over Talents and Voice Actors with own studio
My list of the best side hustle ideas for 2024 that'll make you extra income
- Become a freelance writer
- Get paid searching the Internet
- Do retail arbitrage online
- Become a Fiverr freelancer
- Become a social media moderator
- Become a tasker
- Become a virtual assistant
- Become a website & app tester
- Get paid listening to music
- Earn money on Reddit
- Create online courses
- Get paid using apps
- Publish articles on Vocal
- Get paid to give expert answers
- Peer-to-peer renting sites
- Join marketing focus & research groups
- Become a "micro" tasker
- Join research studies on Respondent
- Become a voiceover actor
- Become a transcriber
- Do paid surveys online
- Join WFH Facebook Groups
- Become a customer service representative
- Become a mystery shopper
- Become a resume writer
- Start a blog
- All side hustle ideas >>