When it comes to online website builders, people tend to either love or hate them, and Squarespace is no exception. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I firmly believe that those who say that Squarespace is not good at all haven’t dug deep enough and/or seen Squarespace’s latest updates.
From $14 per month
Use coupon code PARTNER10 & get 10% OFF
Read my Squarespace review to discover all of this website builder’s strengths and weaknesses and find out whether you should give it a try.
Although there’s plenty of room for further improvement, Squarespace is a great website-building platform for everyone who wants to create a stylish personal or business website with the help of a reliable customer support team.
Since its launch in 2003, Squarespace has become home to millions of websites owned and managed by small business owners, photographers, bloggers, artists, musicians, Etsy sellers, and students. This is mainly due to the website builder’s gorgeous, industry-leading website design templates, excellent blogging features, and solid SEO options.
TL;DR Squarespace provides a great suite of website design, SEO, marketing, and eCommerce tools needed to create small blogs and online stores. However, if you need to build a large professional or business site, you might want to steer clear of this platform.
Use coupon code PARTNER10 & get 10% OFF
From $14 per month
Pros and Cons
- Large Collection of Sleek and Modern Website Templates — Squarespace prides itself on its beautiful website design templates. You can choose from 100+ editable website templates available in multiple categories, including Art & Design, Photography, Health & Beauty, Personal & CV, Fashion, Nature & Animals, Home & Decor, Media & Podcasts, and Community & Non-Profits. If you have a very particular vision in mind but can’t find a suitable Squarespace template to bring it to life, you can use a blank template as well.
- Impressive Blogging Features — Squarespace is a wonderful site builder for blogs. It provides its users with multi-author functionality, post scheduling, and rich commenting capability. What’s more, Squarespace allows its customers to set up their blog for Apple Podcasts, Apple News, and similar services. Last but not least, you can add and manage as many blogs as you like on your Squarespace site, which isn’t the case with other website-building tools.
- Outstanding Customer Support — If there’s one thing every Squarespace account owner can agree on is that the website builder supplies excellent online customer support. The website builder doesn’t offer phone support, but that’s not an issue because, let’s face it, creating websites is a visual process. This means you’ll often have to send screenshots and/or videos to help Squarespace’s customer care team understand and fix your problems.
- Handy Mobile App — Yes, Squarespace has a mobile app available for both Android and iOS devices. Both site owners and administrators can access the app in its entirety, while other contributor levels have the right to access the same sections they normally access on a computer. This app allows you to write and edit blog posts on the go, add new images to galleries directly from your phone, manage your inventory and orders (if you have an online store), and check your traffic and other website analytics.
- Free Custom Domain Name — All yearly Squarespace plans come with a free custom domain name for a full year. After the first year, Squarespace renews domain registrations at its standard rate plus applicable taxes. Just for comparison, Wix (one of the most popular Squarespace alternatives) doesn’t include a free custom domain in all its plans.
- Free SSL Security for All Plans — All four of Squarespace’s plans come with a free SSL certificate with industry-recommended 2048-bit keys and SHA-2 signatures. This means that your Squarespace website will appear with a green secure lock icon in your visitors’ browser’s address bar regardless of the package you’ve purchased. Plus, websites secured by SSL have better search engine rankings, which should always be a priority. Speaking of…
- Built-in SEO Features — The people behind Squarespace are well aware of the fact that SEO (search engine optimization) is essential to any website’s success. That’s precisely why Squarespace builds tried-and-true SEO practices into each and every one of its sites. These include automatic sitemap.xml generation for SEO-friendly indexing; easily indexable, clean HTML markup; clean URLs; automatic redirects to one primary domain (in case you’ve connected multiple domains to your Squarespace website); built-in meta tags; and many other features. Read more about Squarespace’s built-in SEO features.
- Built-in Basic Website Metrics — Each Squarespace account owner can track their site visits, traffic sources, visitor geography, pageviews, time on page, bounce rate, and unique visitors, which are all important ways of measuring engagement. These metrics can help you identify both top-quality and mediocre content and help you improve your content efforts. Business, Commerce Basic, and Commerce Advanced plans include advanced website analytics as well.
- Website Editor Is Not Easy to Use — It takes quite a lot of time to learn how to use the Squarespace website editor. Squarespace’s editing interface is complicated and there’s no autosave function which isn’t the case with many of Squarespace’s competitors (Wix, for example, has an autosave function that can be turned on and off). All of this makes Squarespace a less-than-ideal website-building platform for newbies.
- No Revision History Features — Unlike some of its competitors, Squarespace doesn’t have version history features, which means that if you accidentally close your browser while editing or click “Save” after editing pages, blog posts, or galleries, you won’t be able to restore the lost content/access an earlier version.
- Doesn’t Support a Deep Website Hierarchy — Squarespace allows only one sub-level, which makes it inadequate for large websites that need a deep menu hierarchy (for instance, companies that offer a wide variety of products and/or services).
Use coupon code PARTNER10 & get 10% OFF
From $14 per month
Wide Selection of Stylish Website Templates
Squarespace is praised for its exquisite, professionally designed website templates. The website-building platform provides its users with plenty of design flexibility thanks to its 100+ customizable and mobile-optimized templates.
You can change existing fonts, font sizes, colors, and other design elements as well as add text, images, video, audio, buttons, quotes, forms, calendars, charts, social media links, and entire sections through the Design menu. Speaking of…
One of Squarespace’s newest updates is its Site Styles function. It allows you to create a custom and consistent look for your entire site by implementing font, color, animation, spacing, and other types of tweaks.
This feature gives you the chance to pick a font pack and set font styles for your headings, paragraphs, and buttons for your whole website. Don’t worry, you can adjust where they will appear across your site. You can style individual sections and text areas as well.
Drag and Drop
Every template design is built with customizable content areas using intuitive drag and drop live editing. For further customization, custom CSS can be applied to any site through the built-in custom CSS editor.
Built-in SEO Features
Each Squarespace website comes with built-in SEO features so you don’t have to search for plugins. In addition to a free SSL certificate (SSL-secured websites tend to rank higher in search results) and a search keywords analytics panel (more on this below), Squarespace also provides:
- A proper sitemap — Squarespace automatically creates and links a sitemap for your website using the .xml format. It consists of all your page URLs as well as image metadata. Squarespace updates your sitemap whenever you add or delete a page to or from your site. This list informs Google and other search engines what your site’s content structure looks like, thus helping them find, crawl, and index your content with ease.
- Automated heading tags — Squarespace automatically adds headings tags to your website when you format text as a heading (H1, H2, H3, etc.). Plus, the website builder automatically creates heading tags for important text such as blog post titles (this depends on the version of Squarespace you’re using), item titles on collection pages, item titles on item pages, etc. This means you don’t have to add <h1>, <h2>, <h3>, etc. tags in HTML.
- Clean URLs — All your web pages and collection items have static, easily indexable URLs. Clean and short URLs rank better in search results and are more user-friendly (easier to type out).
- Automatic redirects — This is yet another great SEO feature Squarespace provides. If you want to use multiple domains to generate more traffic, Squarespace allows you to pick a primary domain to which the web builder will redirect all of your other domains. This is how you’ll avoid losing your hard-earned spot in search results due to duplicate content.
- Search engine and page description fields — Squarespace allows you to edit your SEO site description (it informs search engines and users about your homepage) as well as add SEO descriptions to individual pages and collection items. These short pieces of text are important because they help people find your web content more quickly.
- AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) — Mobile devices account for more than 50% of global website traffic. That’s why it’s great that every Squarespace plan owner can use AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) to improve their mobile user experience. For those of you who don’t know, AMP is a web component framework that helps web pages load faster when accessed via mobile devices by creating lightweight versions of them. At the moment, Squarespace displays AMP formatting for blog posts only. This makes Squarespace one of the fastest website builders on the market.
- Built-in meta tags — Last but not least, Squarespace automatically adds meta tags to your site’s code using your site title, SEO site description, SEO titles, and SEO descriptions (the last two are for individual pages and collection items).
Squarespace Analytics Panels
Squarespace’s analytics panels provide you with valuable information on your visitors’ behavior in the form of site visits, traffic sources, visitor geography, pageviews, and bounce rate. If your Squarespace site is in fact an eCommerce platform/online store, Squarespace analytics will generate revenue, conversion, and cart abandonment data as well.
Some of the most important Squarespace analytics panels are:
- Traffic analytics;
- Geography analytics;
- Traffic sources analytics;
- Search keywords analytics;
- Form & button conversion analytics;
- Sales by product analytics; and
- Purchase funnel analytics.
Let’s take a close look at each of them.
The traffic analytics panel focuses on three KPIs (key performance indicators): 1) visits; 2) pageviews; and 3) unique visitors. Each of these is a crucial piece of the site traffic and engagement puzzle.
Visits are the total number of browsing sessions by individual visitors. Pageviews is the total number of times a page on your website has been viewed. Finally, unique visitors are the total number of people who’ve visited your site at least once in a given period of time (keep in mind that if someone visits your site more than once, they’ll be counted as one unique visitor in the reporting time period).
The geography analytics panel provides you with an interactive map that shows you where your site visits are coming from. You can view your visits by country, region, and city. Do you really need this information? Of course, you do. It will help you see whether your business/content is reaching the right people (if you operate locally) and improve your next marketing campaigns.
The traffic sources analytics panel is extremely useful because it shows you which channels are driving most of your visits, orders, and revenue. If, for example, blog posts, social media posts, and email marketing campaigns are the most significant traffic sources for your Squarespace website, you should center your content marketing strategy around them.
The search keywords analytics panel lists the search terms that drive search engine or organic traffic to your site. This information can help you up your SEO game by producing content around these specific keywords.
The form & button conversion analytics panel is a premium feature available only for Business and Commerce account owners. It shows you how your site visitors interact with your forms and buttons (subscribe to your weekly/monthly newsletter, book a consultation or another type of appointment, request a quote, etc.). In other words, it measures the number of times your forms and buttons have been viewed as well as the number of submissions and clicks they’ve received. This panel can help you identify your top-performing forms and buttons and implement the same structure, input fields, field labels, action buttons, and feedback in the future.
The sales by product analytics panel is crucial for online store owners/managers. It shows you how each product listed on your site is performing by displaying order volume, revenue, and conversion by product. You can use this data to adjust your inventory, merchandising, and marketing practices and thus achieve your goals more easily and quickly. Only Commerce Basic and Commerce Advanced plan owners have access to this panel.
Unsurprisingly, the purchase funnel analytics panel is included in Commerce plans only. It focuses on your online store’s sales funnel and shows you how many visits turn into purchases. It also highlights in which stage of the purchase funnel potential customers dropped off. This information can help you increase your sales funnel conversion rate.
Squarespace’s Email Campaigns provides you with a large selection of gorgeous and responsive email layouts. Once you choose one for your campaign, you can make it more compelling by adding a beautiful image, changing the font, or incorporating a button.
The Email Campaigns marketing tool is part of all Squarespace plans as a free version. It allows you to build mailing lists, create draft campaigns, and send up to three campaigns. If you want to be able to send more campaigns and have access to integrated marketing analytics, consider purchasing one of the four paid plans: Starter, Core, Pro, or Max.
All of Squarespace’s paid Email Campaigns plans allow you to have an unlimited number of subscribers, create mailing lists, and measure your campaign’s performance in real-time with the native email marketing analytics feature. Email automation, on the other hand, is possible only with the Core, Pro, and Max plans.
The Squarespace Scheduling tool is one of the website builder’s newest additions. Simply put, this feature serves as an online assistant that works non-stop to fill your calendar.
It allows your clients to book an appointment whenever they want, sends them automatic reminders to reduce no-shows, and asks them to submit intake forms when scheduling so you can have quick access to all of their important information. Another great thing about Squarespace Scheduling is the possibility to import and export client lists.
Squarespace’s online appointment scheduling tool allows you to set up your calendar availability as windows of time (for example, 10 am-1 pm) or as exact start times (for instance: 11:30 am, 12 pm, 2:30 pm, etc.). Next, you can create different appointment types (for example vet care, grooming, dog training, doggie day camp, pets hotel, etc.).
Aside from adding Squarespace Scheduling to your site, you can also sync with other calendars such as Google Calendar, iCloud, and Outlook Exchange. Plus, you can integrate it with third-party apps like Google Analytics, Xero, Stripe, and PayPal.
Unfortunately, this tool isn’t free. There are three scheduling pricing plans:
- Emerging ($14 per month for yearly contracts);
- Growing ($23 per month for annual subscriptions); and
- Powerhouse ($45 per month for yearly contracts).
On the plus side, you can take advantage of the 14-day free trial to explore the tool and decide whether you can benefit from it or not.
Promotional pop-ups are a premium feature included in the Business plan and Commerce packages. This is a powerful marketing tool that can be used in a variety of situations, including:
- When you want to share with your visitors that you’ve published a new blog post or introduced a new product;
- When you want to invite your visitors to subscribe to your email newsletter;
- When you need to let your visitors know that the page they want to view includes age-restricted content and they should confirm their age;
- When you want to show/remind your visitors they can view your website in another language.
This premium feature allows you to display a unique message in a large bar across the top of your site. You can use it to inform your visitors you’re having a sale or a scheduled site maintenance day, announce a promotion, or let your current and potential clients know you’ve changed your working hours (availability). When enabled, the announcement bar is visible on both the desktop and mobile versions of your site and appears on all web pages except cover ones.
It is very easy to set up and start a blog with Squarespace. To create a blog in Squarespace (version 7.0 or 7.1), you simply:
Click on Pages, then click the + plus icon to add a new page in you primary navigation, and then choose Blog.
Squarespace's blogging features include:
- Blog templates – You can choose from a huge selection of attractive blog templates
- Customize blog layouts – You can customize your blog posts with any content block, including text, audio, video, and more.
- Supports markdown – Use the Markdown Block to compose posts using Markdown.
- Supports podcasts – Complete podcasting support with Audio Block and blog post options that set you up for success with Apple Podcasts and other podcast hosts.
- Schedule posts – Schedule entries to be published in the future.
- Categories & tags – Tag and category support provide two levels of organization.
- Supports multiple authors – Publish content by different authors on your blog.
- Email campaigns – After publishing a blog post, you can automatically reformat the post content into a draft of an email campaign.
Squarespace Pricing Plans
Squarespace's pricing plans are quite simple and easy to understand. The site builder offers four packages: two website ones (Personal and Business) and two commerce ones (Basic Commerce and Advanced Commerce).
So, regardless of whether you’re a freelancer, small business owner, or online store manager, chances are one of these plans will provide you with all the tools you need to create a professional, user-friendly, and visually appealing website.
|Squarespace Pricing Plan||Price|
|Personal plan (limited number of contributors)||$12/month|
|Business plan (most popular)||$18/month|
|Basic commerce plan||$26/month|
|Advanced commerce plan||$40/month|
Squarespace’s Personal Plan is quite costly for a basic plan ($12 per month for an annual contract). But once you take into account all the features it includes, you’ll realize that it’s actually rich and worth every dollar. Its most significant drawback is the lack of commerce functionality and a professional Gmail and Google Workspace account.
The Personal Website Plan comes with:
- Free custom domain name for a year (this applies to annual subscriptions only);
- Free SSL certificate;
- Unlimited bandwidth and storage space;
- SEO features;
- 2 contributors (site owner + 1 contributor);
- Mobile site optimization
- Basic website metrics (visits, traffic sources, popular content, etc.);
- Squarespace extensions (third-party extensions for improved business website management);
- 24/7 customer support.
This plan is best for: individuals and small groups of people whose main goal is to establish and maintain a basic online presence by displaying their work, writing blog posts, and sharing valuable information.
The Business Website Plan is Squarespace’s most widely used package. It costs $18 per month if you buy a yearly contract. The monthly subscription is a bit pricier: $26 a month. If you want to set up a small online shop but don’t need any advanced business features, this plan might be perfect for you.
The Business Website Plan includes everything in the Personal Website Plan plus:
- Unlimited number of contributors;
- Free professional Gmail and Google Workspace user/inbox for a year;
- Premium integrations and apps that can help you grow your business;
- Custom code (code block, code injection, and developer platform);
- Advanced website analytics;
- Full access to the Squarespace Video Studio app;
- Promotional pop-ups and banners;
- Fully integrated eCommerce platform;
- 3% transaction fees;
- The ability to sell an unlimited amount of products, offer digital gift cards, and accept donations;
- Up to $100 Google Ads credit.
This plan is best for: small online stores owned by artists selling their creations and bands selling their exclusive merch.
Basic Commerce Plan
Despite its name, Squarespace’s Basic Commerce Plan is impressively feature-rich. For $26 per month with an annual term (or $35 per month with a monthly subscription), you’ll get everything in the Business package plus:
- 0% transaction fees;
- Customer accounts for quicker checkout and improved customer loyalty;
- Secure checkout page on your domain;
- Sophisticated eCommerce analytics (best-selling products, sales trends, etc.);
- Advanced merchandising tools;
- Local and regional shipping;
- Facebook Product Catalog sync (the ability to tag your products in your Instagram posts);
- The possibility to sell in-person with the Squarespace app which is available for Android and iOS devices (this was done with the Squarespace Commerce app until September 27, 2021, but the app is now discounted and can no longer be installed);
- Limited availability labels.
This plan is best for: smaller retailers and businesses that don’t have complex marketing and shipping needs (operate locally/regionally).
Advanced Commerce Plan
Squarespace’s Advanced Commerce Plan comes with a complete set of selling tools, which explains its high price ($40 per month for yearly subscriptions or $54 per month for monthly contracts). This fantastic commerce package includes everything in the Basic Commerce one plus:
- Abandoned cart recovery (helps you increase your sales);
- The possibility to sell subscriptions on a weekly or monthly basis;
- Automated USPS, UPS, and FedEx real-time rate calculation;
- Advanced discounts;
- Commerce APIs (custom integrations to third-party systems).
This plan is best for: large online stores that receive and process a huge amount of orders on a daily/weekly basis and businesses that want to increase their market shares with the help of a powerful marketing toolset.
To learn more about Squarespace’s website and commerce plans, read my Squarespace Pricing Plans article.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Free to Use Squarespace?
No, it isn’t. Squarespace doesn’t have a free-forever website plan. However, you can take advantage of the 14-day free trial Squarespace offers (no credit card information required) and test-drive the platform. Squarespace’s trials are great because they provide access to most premium features and all custom code options.
If you realize this website builder is right for you, you can purchase one of the monthly or yearly subscriptions and create a strong online presence for yourself as an expert in your field or your business/organization.
How Much Does It Cost to Join Squarespace?
Squarespace’s most basic and cheapest website plan is the Personal Website Plan. It costs $12 per month if you purchase an annual subscription. If a whole year is too long of a commitment for you, the monthly Personal Website Plan might be ideal for you. It costs $16 a month.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that this plan doesn’t come with eCommerce functionality and marketing tools. If you want to build an online store site, you should consider the Business Plan or one of the two Commerce packages.
Can You Upgrade Squarespace at Any Time?
Absolutely! Squarespace allows you to switch to a higher pricing plan whenever you want right in your website manager. You can also downgrade your website plan, which is extremely convenient.
Depending on how much your new plan costs, Squarespace will either charge you a prorated amount or send you a prorated refund. In addition to switching website plans, you can also change your billing cycle (from annual to monthly or vice versa).
Can You Have Two Websites on Squarespace?
Yes; Squarespace allows its users to create and manage multiple websites from a single account. However, the website builder doesn’t offer discounts or multi-site plans, meaning you’ll have to pay for each website separately. On the plus side, you can choose different plans and billing cycles for each of your sites.
Is Wix or Squarespace Better for Artists?
This is a tough one because both website builders have beautiful, professionally designed website templates. However, Wix’s site editor is much easier to use and features an autosave function, which makes things so much more convenient, especially for beginners. Go here to read a detailed comparison of Squarespace vs Wix.
Is it Worth Using Squarespace?
Yes, Squarespace offers better blogging functionalities, better templates, and better support than most of its competitors. No, it's not worth using Squarespace if you are looking for a free website builder tool. In that case, browse some of the best Squarespace alternatives right now.
Squarespace Review 2022: Summary
The Squarespace website builder is a feature-packed platform with an abundance of beautiful website templates.
If you can afford to overlook its unnecessarily complex site editor, two-level navigation, and the absence of a version history feature, it will equip you with all the necessary blogging, SEO, marketing, and eCommerce tools to create a stunning website and an unforgettable onsite user experience.
And who knows, maybe the minds behind Squarespace will finally listen to their users and introduce that long-overdue autosave function.
Use coupon code PARTNER10 & get 10% OFF
From $14 per month
I love Squarespace because I have never had a day when my website was down or slow. If you build a website on your own using WordPress, chances are there will days when things break. It's rarely the case with a site built using a tool like Squarespace.
Best for beginner like me
I realize that this tool is built mainly for beginners and business owners who want to quickly build their website on their own. But I wish they had some more advanced capabilities. Right now, the most you can do is customize the templates. But I like the fact that it's easy to use and content management features are really simple.
Squarespace is one of the best website builders for beginners. It has dozens of beautiful templates. The templates are really easy to use and look professional. But my problem is that they all have kind of the same feel to them. They sure do look different but not that much. Overall, Squarespace is a great place to launch your first website. You can do it in less than an hour.
Amazing templates, and so easy…
Love SQP! Their templates are all modern and stunning and in total it took me less than an hour to launch my website. The only negative I guess is that it isn't free 🙂