Do you like writing? Do you have a blog or have you submitted a blog post to another website? If you are, why not get paid for it? If you're good at what you do and have the skills, then there are side hustle opportunities out there to make a lot of extra money as a freelance writer!
It's a great time to be a freelancer! There are so many ways you can make some money on the side. From writing product descriptions, transcribing audio recordings to proofreading other people’s work.
The best part about this gig? It doesn't take much commitment or motivation: just pick jobs that interest YOU based on what interests YOU most and fit them into YOUR schedule around everything else going on in life.
Pros of being a freelance writer
- Plenty of job opportunities available.
- Can be done after hours, making it the perfect side hustle.
- Get paid to do what you love (if you like writing).
- Can be done anywhere, if you have a laptop and an internet connection.
- Chance to learn about things as you’ll be exposed to different topics.
- Work whenever you want.
Cons of being a freelance writer
- You need to actively look for work.
- Inconsistent income if you don’t keep working.
- There might be deadlines to meet for certain tasks.
- Might be boring if you get a gig that doesn’t interest you.
- Expect low pay at the start if you’re inexperienced.
- Getting chosen by the busier publications can be competitive.
Here are 4 top tips and tricks to help you when becoming a good freelance writer
- Do your research to find out the latest trends/news to include in your writing to make it more relevant.
- If you want higher pay, make sure you understand the requirements of the clients before you start writing. They might have certain writing styles/rules you might have to follow.
- Ensure that your content is engaging and always remember that QUALITY content is king. People don’t want to read boring and repetitive articles that have already been published.
- Each client will have a different style of writing they’re after, so it’s important to always be flexible with the way you write. (The client is always right!)
Freelance writer earning potential
This side hustle could be the perfect addition to your portfolio and even give you some extra cash. The average pay for writing or proofreading varies, but if you're good at writing what you do, there’s the potential to earn up to $3k per month from just 3-4 completed jobs!
They may be hard to come by, but basic earnings range from $70-$300 per article, which is still great. With practice and experience, there’s a huge opportunity for serious income from this side hustle while still working full time.
Sites to use to become a freelance writer
- Write for Better Humans. Everything you need to know about
- Write & Get Paid
- Cult of Copy Facebook Group
- The RankPay Blogger Program
- Make a Living Writing
- Freelance WordPress Bloggers Wanted
- Great Escape Publishing
- Want to Earn up to $150 per Post?
- Serious Eats @ Medium
- Clarkes World Magazine
My list of the best side hustle ideas for 2022 that'll make you extra income
- Become a freelance writer
- Get paid searching the Internet
- Do retail arbitrage online
- Become a Fiverr freelancer
- Become a social media moderator
- Become a tasker
- Become a virtual assistant
- Become a website & app tester
- Get paid listening to music
- Earn money on Reddit
- Create online courses
- Get paid using apps
- Publish articles on Vocal
- Get paid to give expert answers
- Peer-to-peer renting sites
- Join marketing focus & research groups
- Become a "micro" tasker
- Join research studies on Respondent
- Become a voiceover actor
- Become a transcriber
- Do paid surveys online
- Join WFH Facebook Groups
- Become a customer service representative
- Become a mystery shopper
- Become a resume writer
- Start a blog
- All side hustle ideas >>