HostGator is one of the biggest, and oldest, web hosting companies in the industry. But does that make them good, or bad? This HostGator review looks at their features, speed performance, support, and pricing – so that you can decide if HostGator is right for you.
HostGator is one of the oldest web hosting providers on the market. It’s also one of the cheapest. Founded in 2002, it’s part of the EIG (Endurance International Group) parent company, which specializes in web hosting and owns Bluehost, as well.
It's safe to say that HostGator is one of the most popular web hosting providers out there since it powers more than 2 million websites worldwide. That being said, you’re here today because you want to see whether it lives up to the hype.
Well, I’m here so we can figure that out together and see if HostGator is truly any good. If you don’t have time to read this HostGator review, just watch this short video I put together for you:
Pros and cons are a good introduction to a hosting provider because they help us see what sets them apart from other such services on the market.
HostGator Pros and Cons
- Very, very cheap – That’s right. When it comes to the basic, shared plans, it’s even cheaper than Bluehost, which is also popular for being pretty affordable. For instance, with the current 60% discount, HostGator’s most basic shared hosting plan starts at $2.75/month! Of course, the renewal price would be according to the usual hosting plan price (without any discount).
- Free domain name – For one year when you sign up for a 12, 24 or 36 month HostGator Shared, WordPress or Cloud hosting plan.
- Free site transfers – HostGator offers to migrate a site you might already have for free. You might think all hosting providers have this rule, but think again – Bluehost charges $149.99 for site migration.
- Easy WordPress installations – HostGator is well integrated with WordPress, so if you want to host a WP site with them, they’re going to make it super easy for you. The HostGator Website Builder is also excellent. Or, you can just choose the WordPress hosting plan, and you’ll have WP already automatically installed on your hosting account. No hassle at all!
- Easy one-click installations – this implies easy app integration; with one-click installation, you can have any app you want on your own HostGator hosting dashboard within minutes.
- Unmetered bandwidth and disk space – HostGator’s unmetered bandwidth mean that you’re not going to be charged as long as you use disk space and bandwidth that corresponds to your site’s needs (this applies to personal or small business websites). All of this should be in compliance with their Terms of Service. If you use more bandwidth and disk space than what corresponds to HostGator’s usage policies, you will receive an email from them, asking you to reduce your usage of it. But this is usually pretty rare.
- 99.9% uptime guarantee – HostGator offers a guarantee of 99.9% uptime for your site, regardless of which hosting plan you choose, which is pretty good when you think about how none of the hosting providers can guarantee a perfect 100% uptime 24/7.
- Free SSL certificate – Also comes with every hosting package. The SSL certificate makes your site much more secure by encrypting the communication flowing between the server where your site’s hosted and the visitors checking it out or entering personal data into it. The free SSL certificate flags your site, which means each visitor will be able to see the well-known ‘secure site’ symbol of a padlock at the very left corner of the address bar. It also uses 2048 bit signatures, 256-bit customer data encryption, and 99.9% browser recognition.
- 45-day money-back guarantee – While most hosting providers out there offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, HostGator offers a pretty generous 45-day grace period during which you can try out their services after purchase and see whether you like them or not.
- Flexible billing options – when it comes to paying for your hosting, HostGator offers six different billing cycles – you can choose between 1, 3, 6, 12, 24, and 36 months. However, the billing for 1, 2, and 3 months is significantly more expensive than the other cycles.
- Windows hosting option – a lot of the web hosting providers out there rely on the Linux operating system. However, HostGator also offers Windows hosting plans for those of you who have websites that require specific Windows applications and technologies such as NET, ASP, MSSQL (Microsoft SQL Server), and Microsoft Access.
- The free domain for a year feature is not valid for all hosting plans – Unlike Bluehost, HostGator offers a free domain for one year only on the Shared, WordPress, or Cloud hosting plans. For all the other hosting plans, like VPS and dedicated, you will have to get a domain for an additional fee.
- Aggressive upselling – EIG is known to push for aggressive upselling options, especially on services like automated backups and advanced functionality options. So make sure to uncheck the features you don’t need if you don’t want to find yourself accidentally paying for something additional. And don’t worry, if you realize that you do need them at a certain point, you can always add them later on.
- Limited options for backup – HostGator offers free automated daily backups, but other than that, the free backup options are pretty limited, unless you pay for add-ons.
- High monthly pricing – when you compare the monthly pricing and annual pricing, there is a huge difference. For the shared hosting plan, the most basic billing option is $2.75 with the current 60% discount paid on a 36-month subscription, but if you choose to pay on a monthly basis, every three months, or every six months, it’s going to cost you a whopping $10.95 per month – just for the most basic plan!
In this 2022 HostGator review, I am going to take a close look at some of the pros and cons which you should be aware of before you decide to sign up.
Get started with HostGator
Use the coupon code WSHR and get 60% off of the normal price
Here is how our web hosting review process works:
1. We sign up for the web hosting plan & install a blank WordPress site.
2. We monitor the site's performance, uptime, & page load time speed.
3. We analyze the good/bad features, pricing, & customer support.
4. We publish the review (and update it throughout the year).
HostGator Key Features
Speed & Performance
Speed is one of the key features when you’re looking for good-quality hosting. Why is this so? Well, the answer is simple – speed affects a lot of processes on your site that you might not be aware of, such as SEO rankings and user experience.
Speed can depend on a lot of factors such as type of server and server density, type of hardware, whether your site uses CDN or not, whether it uses multiple caching layers, etc.
So what’s the verdict on HostGator? Well, HostGator does seem to perform pretty well when it comes to speed tests.
I’ve been doing speed tests for HostGatorand the results I received tell me that the site loading time is above average.
My test site that is hosted on HostGator loads fast according to Google PageSpeed Insights and receives a mobile score of 96 out of 100.
And the same for GTmetrix. The test site's performance score is 89%
They promise a 99.9% uptime guarantee, which is great news for any website owner. However, it's important to keep in mind that this is the standard, and anything less is not generally tolerated.
Page speed is important, but it's also important that your website is “up” and available to your visitors. I monitor uptime for a test site hosted on HostGator to see how often they experience outages.
Sites that load slowly aren’t likely to rise to the top in any niche. A study from Google found that a one-second delay in mobile page load times can impact conversion rates by up to 20%.
The above screenshot only shows the past 30 days, you can view historical uptime data and server response time at this uptime monitor page.
Adding to that, HostGator is prepared to compensate its customers with a one-month credit if at any time the server falls short of the 99.9% uptime guarantee.
Security and Backup
HostGator is equipped with a custom firewall that is aimed at protecting their customers’ websites against DDoS attacks. HostGator also offers a free SSL certificate on all their plans and they also have free SSH access (but needs to be enabled in the dashboard).
You can easily get additional security through the SiteLock app which includes automatic daily and continuous malware scans and malware removal, basic CDN, database scanning, blocking of automated bot attacks, and a lot more stuff, depending on which plan you choose (they start at $5.99 per month).
SiteLock is a paid addon that scans for malware and prevents your site from being blacklisted. HostGator's SiteLock starts from $5.99 per month.
Currently, Cloudflare’s CDN is free of charge only on the shared hosting Business plan that HostGator offers. Cloudflare CDN is a good idea to have because it not only provides extra protection for your site from various hacker attacks and malware, but it also gives your site a serious performance boost.
If you purchased and registered your domain with HostGator, you can automatically enable Cloudflare. If you purchased a domain with another provider, you will need to make sure that the domain is using HostGator name servers.
What about backups?
HostGator does offer a complimentary backup service on all their plans that runs once a week, and the day is chosen at random. Each subsequent backup erases the previous one, which means you won’t have any previous backup versions of your site. According to HostGator, the terms of their backup policies depend on what kind of hosting plan you’re currently using.
However, you should have in mind that these free backups are considered a kind of courtesy and they shouldn’t serve as the only guarantee for your site’s backup system. HostGator is clear that the customer is responsible for their website content and their backups and that they should make additional backups if they want extra protection for their site.
This means that if you run a more serious and complex site, with lots of data and especially business information, you should definitely seriously consider a third-party app for backup, such as CodeGuard, which HostGator officially recommends.
CodeGuard offers daily automated backups, unlimited databases and files, on-demand backups, and daily website monitoring, as well as 1-10 GB of storage, depending on which of the three plans you choose. The most basic one starts at $2.75/month.
What all of this means is that if you opt to use the free security features that HostGator offers, you’ll be left with a very basic array of options. The same goes for backup features. If you’re just starting out with your site and you intend to keep it pretty light and low-key in the beginning, then you don’t need all of these add-ons.
But if you want to start an online business and your site becomes loaded with data and customer info, then I would definitely recommend getting third-party help for extra protection.
HostGator Website Builder
HostGator includes their own website builder for free in all plans. HostGator’s builder is a very handy tool to have, especially if you’re new to creating and running a website.
It’s a builder that makes the website creation experience all the more easy through its intuitive setup, drag-and-drop interface, hundreds of pre-built templates, and whole pages, as well as its simple, but also varied options for customization.
The image above is a screenshot from a test page that we created to see just what this built-in builder can do.
Some additional features that you can find in HostGator’s website builder are HD video embedding, branding removal, easy social media integration, Google Analytics, PayPal payment gateway, coupon codes, SEO tools for better search engine results, as well as inventory management and an eCommerce shopping cart.
You can also purchase HostGator’s website builder individually, and with that, also get HostGator’s web hosting services (whichever works for you best). Otherwise, as I said earlier, the website builder comes for free with all of HostGator’s hosting plans.
Save for the most basic shared hosting package, which limits the domains to 1, HostGator offers unlimited everything (well sort of – see below) else which is a great deal since their plans are so cheap, to begin with.
(Almost) Unlimited Bandwidth & Disk Space
Unlimited bandwidth and disk space mean you can transfer and store as much data as you need. “Unmetered” allows for the seemingly limitless growth of your website while using an affordable shared hosting plan.
Having unmetered bandwidth means you can move an unlimited amount of data between your host server, your site visitors, and the internet. This is great for ensuring the speed and performance of your website, especially on a shared plan.
You also receive unlimited databases, which means you can have as many WordPress installs as you want. This is good for those who have many clients and want to test website changes before pushing them live.
However, you should know that “Unlimited” hosting is a myth and at least HostGator is transparent about their resource usage limitation. They offer “unlimited everything”, as long as you:
- Don't use more than 25% of the server's central processing unit (CPU)
- Don't run more than 25 simultaneous processes in cPanel
- Don't have more than 25 simultaneous MySQL connections
- Don't create more than 100.000 files in cPanel
- Don't check more than 30 emails per hour
- Don't send more than 500 emails per hour
However, there is no limitation on:
- Bandwidth you use
- Email accounts you create
At least HostGator is open and transparent about it (most other cheap web hosting companies aren't!).
Free Site Transfer & One-Click Install WordPress
Migrating websites from one host to another is typically the norm for most web hosting companies, however, most companies only provide free website transfers for WordPress sites.
Not HostGator. They make transferring any type of site from another host to them simple, and free. Simply sign up for the plan you wish to use, and let HostGator do the rest.
Depending on which type of hosting account you sign up for, the number of free migrations they offer varies:
|Hosting Type||Free Site Migration||Free cPanel Migration||Free Manual Migration|
|Shared / Cloud Hosting||1 site||1 site||1 site|
|Optimized WordPress Hosting (Starter)||1 blog||Not Available||Not Available|
|Optimized WordPress Hosting (Standard)||2 blogs||Not Available||Not Available|
|Optimized WordPress Hosting (Business)||3 blogs||Not available||Not Available|
|Reseller Hosting||30 sites||30 sites||30 sites|
|VPS Hosting||Unlimited sites||Unlimited sites||0 – 90 sites|
|Dedicated Hosting (Value, Power, and Enterprise)||Unlimited sites||Unlimited sites||100 sites|
Adding to that, if you are new to owning a website, and HostGator is the first hosting solution you have ever used, rest assured that installing your preferred CMS like WordPress is as easy as clicking a few buttons during sign-up.
Using their 1-click-install tool, you can easily set up your website without worrying about having technical knowledge.
Your installed WordPress site comes with pre-installed plugins like Jetpack, OptinMonster, and WPForms – as well HostGator performance tools like built-in caching.
There are two main ways you can reach HostGator’s customer support. One is through the live chat option in which you can introduce yourself as a new customer or an existing customer and explain your problem in more detail by selecting a topic, a set of offered descriptions for the problem, and then fill out a small field with the specific details of your question or problem.
The other main customer support option is by calling HostGator’s support team directly on the number (866) 96-GATOR. Both of these options can be reached 24/7, 365 days in a year.
You will also be able to find additional info and answers to various questions about HostGator’s services through their vast knowledge base. HostGator’s knowledge base contains 19 categories (with their own subcategories) that include hosting services, policies, the website builder, cPanel, files, design tools, optimization, partnership programs, and more.
If you have any questions, you can write them down in the search window at the top of the knowledge base page. We wrote “how to enable SSL certificate” and this is what came out:
As you can see, there are a number of answers to this question that the base holds in its archive. Some of the answers provided are more specific, and some less, but they are all somehow related to the target word in the question related to “SSL certificate.” This basically works as a FAQ section.
There is another type of knowledge base that HostGator has compiled, and that is the HostGator blog. It has five categories:
- HostGator Happenings
- Marketing Tips and Tricks
- Startup & Small Business
- Web Hosting Tips
This blog works as a vast network of how-to resources, in-depth articles, and various tips on how to manage and expand your site and how to optimize your hosting experience.
As with every web hosting service out there, there are going to be some disadvantages to using such a cheap, web hosting solution. Here are the biggest negatives.
While the overall features provided are pretty standard, and a free domain, free website transfer, and unlimited everything are nice, the truth is, HostGator doesn't offer shared hosting users a whole lot of standard features.
Features that should be standard, and that most other web hosts include in their packages for free, aren't with HostGator:
- Automated website backups is a paid addon (CodeGuard)
- Website security such as malware protection is a paid addon (SiteLock)
Is Part of EIG
Again, I am not going to attempt to sway you either way when it comes to Endurance International Group (EIG). However, most people who review hosting companies will say that a hosting company that is part of EIG runs the risk of harboring a bad reputation.
That's because if you were to go with hosting company A (that is part of EIG and you didn't know it) and have a bad experience, and move to hosting company B (also part of EIG and you didn't know it), who is to say your experience is going to get any better?
Just be aware that HostGator is a part of this organization and that the way EIG runs things is probably going to trickle down into how HostGator handles things.
HostGator Hosting Plans
HostGator offers a variety of hosting plans. All in all, you can find eight hosting options with different fee schedules:
- Shared hosting – this is HostGator’s cheapest hosting plan, starting at just $2.75/month, with the current discount, paid on a 36-month basis. Shared hosting is just what the name suggests – your website shares a server and the resources necessary for its operations with other similarly small websites from different site owners. Shared hosting is good when you’re just starting out, if your site doesn’t require too much power, and if you aren’t expecting too big of a traffic surge.
- Cloud hosting – as the name suggests, cloud hosting uses the resources of cloud technology. This means that, unlike other types of hosting, which use a single server, cloud hosting uses a network of connected virtual cloud servers that host the website or application in question. This means that your site will be able to use the resources of multiple servers. Cloud hosting is recommended for websites and online businesses who need fast loading times, at all times, even if they experience frequent traffic surges, like the ones coming from promotions, current offers, or sales. In short, cloud hosting provides for more scalability, flexibility, and reliability. With the current discount, the cheapest cloud hosting plan HostGator offers costs $4.95 per month, paid on a 36-month basis.
- VPS hosting – VPS stands for virtual private server, which basically describes dedicated resources that are only for your site on a particular server. What this means is that physically speaking, your site is still on a shared server (a.k.a. the server’s hardware), but the resources that your site needs are yours and yours only (such as CPU power or RAM memory, for example). VPS is the best option for website owners who want more control over their hosting resources and hosting environment. Also, if you experience a growth in traffic or need to manage multiple websites and require the necessary resources to manage them in an effective way, while also not wanting to pay extra money, then you should consider signing up for a VPS plan. VPS hosting plans start at $19.95 per month, paid every 36 months.
- Dedicated hosting – dedicated hosting goes a level beyond VPS hosting. With this hosting plan, you get a server just for you. You’ll be able to use all its resources and power multiple websites, without having to share space and resources with other users. Dedicated hosting is a good idea when you notice that you’re running out of space, or you notice that your site has been loading slower than usual. If your audience has grown over time, and you have more traffic, more site demands, and you generally need more space and want a faster website, as well as full control of your server, you might want to think about getting a dedicated server hosting plan. With the current discount, dedicated plans start at $89.98 per month, paid every 36 months.
- WordPress hosting – as the name suggests, this hosting plan is specifically aimed at powering WordPress sites. It means that it has more features that are related to WP and it makes setting up a WP page easier and more efficient, compared to other hosting plans. It’s recommended for people who specifically want to create and run a WordPress website. This hosting plan starts out at $5.95 per month (paid on a 36-month subscription), with the current discount.
- Reseller hosting – also called “white label hosting”, reseller hosting enables you to offer hosting services as if you yourself were a real hosting company. You can offer your services to clients without the hassle of actually creating a hosting company from scratch. It means you don’t need to deal with server and software maintenance, or handle any uptime troubles. Reseller hosting allows you to make money from providing hosting services to others, though they’re actually facilitated by HostGator. It’s best for agencies or freelancers who offer their clients services related to web design and web development, as well as other business-related services. It allows them to promote their brand and receive income from their customers, as well as combine hosting options with other services they might offer. HostGator offers a client management and billing software called WHMCS which is included, for free, in all of their reseller plans. The plans start at $19.95 per month, for 36 months, with the current discount.
- Windows hosting – a large portion of hosting servers out there run on the Linux operating system, which is the most popular one by far, but some also run on Windows. This is because there are certain applications that can only run on the Windows servers, as well as specific Windows-related technologies that are only possible with this kind of hosting. For example, ASP.NET developers cannot work on any other type of hosting software. Windows hosting plans start at $4.76 per month, with the current discount, paid on a 36-month basis.
- Web application hosting – Application hosting allows you to host and run your applications on a cloud or regular server that HostGator offers. This means that your application can be accessed from the internet, so it doesn’t need to be downloaded, and your clients and users can interact with a web-based user interface. HostGator’s hosting services run on multiple operating and data management systems such as Linux, MySQL, Apache and PHP, making them compatible with lots of other software and existing applications. With the current discount, the starter plan for the Web application hosting plan is pretty cheap, coming at only $2.75/month, paid every 36 months.
I will go into more detail about the key features of each of these plans in the Pricing Plans section in the next section of this article.
HostGator Pricing Plans
As I mentioned earlier, HostGator offers eight types of hosting services. First, I’d like to give you an overview of all of their hosting plans, and then, I’ll also get into more details about each of the key features of the types of hosting services they offer.
|Shared hosting plans|
|Hatchling plan||$2.75/month* (with the current 60% discount)|
|Baby plan||$3.50 per month* (with the current 65% discount)|
|Business plan||$5.75 per month* (with the current 65% discount)|
|Cloud hosting plans|
|Hatchling cloud||$4.95 per month* (with the current 45% discount)|
|Baby cloud||$6.57 per month* (with the current 45% discount)|
|Business cloud||$9.95 per month* (with the current 45% discount)|
|VPS hosting plans|
|Snappy 2000||$19.95 per month* (with the current 75% discount)|
|Snappy 4000||$29.95 per month* (with the current 75% discount)|
|Snappy 8000||$39.95 per month* (with the current 75% discount)|
|Dedicated hosting plans|
|Value Server||$89.98 per month* (with the current 52% discount)|
|Power Server||$119.89 per month* (with the current 52% discount)|
|Enterprise Server||$139.99 per month* (with the current 52% discount)|
|WordPress hosting plans|
|Starter Plan||$5.95 per month* (with the current 40% discount)|
|Standard Plan||$7.95 per month* (with the current 50% discount)|
|Business Plan||$9.95 per month* (with the current 57% discount)|
|Reseller hosting plans|
|Aluminum Plan||$19.95 per month* (with the current 43% discount)|
|Copper Plan||$24.95 per month* (with the current 49% discount)|
|Silver Plan||$24.95 per month* (with the current 64% discount)|
|Windows hosting plans|
|Personal Plan||$4.76 per month* (with the current 20% discount)|
|Enterprise Plan||$14.36 per month* (with the current 20% discount)|
|Web application hosting plans|
|Hatchling Plan||$2.75/month* (with the current 60% discount)|
|Baby Plan||$3.50 per month* (with the current 65% discount)|
|Business Plan||$5.25 per month* (with the current 65% discount)|
45-Day Money-Back Guarantee
When it comes to money-back guarantees, HostGator is more generous than a lot of other hosting providers out there.
If you sign up for one of HostGator’s hosting plans, you’ll be able to get a full refund of your money within the first 45 days if you’re not satisfied with the plan you’ve chosen and paid for.
You should keep in mind that this money-back guarantee refers to the basic hosting services HostGator offers. It doesn’t refer to any setup fees or domain registration fees, or to any other fees that apply to additional services you might’ve purchased or used from HostGator.
After the 45-day window passes, you won’t be able to get a refund of your money anymore.
Shared Hosting Plans
As you are able to see, HostGator’s shared hosting plans are definitely among the cheapest shared plans you can find.
Starting at just $2.75/month with the current 60% discount, the basic shared plan (called the Hatchling plan) offers unlimited storage, unmetered bandwidth, and:
- A single website
- Free SSL certificate
- Free domain
- One-click WordPress installs
- Free WordPress/cPanel website transfer
The Baby plan, which is slightly more expensive, comes at $3.50 per month, and it is pretty similar to the Hatchling plan. The main difference is that instead of a single website, this plan allows you to host an unlimited number of websites.
The Business shared plan offers additional benefits, such as:
- Free SEO tools
- Free dedicated IP
- Free upgrade to Positive SSL
All of the plans within the Shared hosting plan offer unmetered bandwidth, which means you shouldn’t worry about any occasional traffic spikes (although if they keep happening too often, HostGator is probably going to contact you and ask you to get a bigger plan).
You’ll also be able to get a domain and register it for free. The SSL certificate also comes with all plans, making your site secure and trustworthy. And last but not least are the one-click WordPress installations, which make WP integration all the easier.
HostGator includes free email accounts with the POP3 and SMTP protocols. It also offers 25 mailing lists for all plans, webmail access, and spam protection with the help of SpamAssassin.
Cloud Hosting Plans
Should you want to use the resources of several cloud servers, you should opt for HostGator’s cloud hosting plans.
They’re also pretty cheap and start at $4.95 per month (paid every 36 months), with the current 45% discount.
The basic, Hatchling cloud hosting plan offers:
- Single domain
- Free SSL certificate
- Free domain
- 2 GB memory
- 2 core CPU
The Baby cloud plan is similar to the Hatchling plan but upgraded. It offers the basics such as a free SSL certificate and free domain, but it also offers hosting for an unlimited number of domains, as well as 4 GB memory and 4 core CPU power.
The premium plan in HostGator’s cloud hosting offers, a.k.a. the Business cloud plan also offers an unlimited number of domains, a free domain, and a free SSL certificate, but it additionally offers a free upgrade to Positive SSL, a free dedicated IP, and free SEO tools. Its cloud servers are able to provide 6 GB memory and 6 core CPU power resources for your site.
The cloud server plans have an integrated caching option, which means your site will always have an optimal caching configuration that makes it load pretty fast. You’ll be able to control the performance of your site and have a clear overview of all the metrics you need for your site’s success through their intuitive dashboard.
Easy resource management and total control over resources allow you to increase and improve the resources your site needs to operate seamlessly, so you needn't worry should you get a traffic spike, for example. Also, if another unexpected issue arises, you’ll be able to tackle it in real-time.
The cloud hosting plan also includes an automated failover. This means that if one of the servers your site is being hosted on through the cloud network experiences a hardware issue, your site’s performance and availability won’t suffer: the automated failover allows for an automatic transfer to another fully functional server.
The cloud hosting plans offer unlimited email accounts with SMTP and POP3 protocols, a standard of 25 mailing lists, spam prevention with SpamAssassin, access to email via phone through IMAP, as well as unlimited email aliases, unlimited mail forwards, and unlimited autoresponders.
VPS Hosting Plans
HostGator’s VPS hosting plans give you full root access to the server’s resources, and plenty of dedicated resources.
The basic plan, called Snappy 2000, starts at $19.95 per month paid every 36 months with the current whopping 75% discount and includes:
- 2GB RAM
- 2 core CPU
- 120 GB SSD
All plans include unmetered bandwidth and 2 dedicated IPs.
The second, Snappy 4000 plan has the same 2 core CPU power, but it offers 4 GB RAM memory and 120 GB SSD memory.
The most premium plan from this group, the Snappy 8000 includes an upgrade of the CPU power with a 4 core CPU, as well as 8 GB RAM memory and 240 GB SSD memory.
HostGator’s VPS hosting plans offer full root access to the virtual private server’s resources, so you can manage the CMS on your own should you want to, as well as insert custom code.
VPS hosting also includes advanced functionality meaning you get to create an unlimited number of email addresses, as well as unlimited domains, FTP accounts, databases, and much more.
HostGator’s VPS hosting uses hardware from proven industry leaders such as AMD and Intel, which means your site is going to use only the best and the fastest.
You’ll also be able to use a full suite of VPS tools such as site templates, site development tools, script installer, and others.
And if you’ve been wondering about site backups, HostGator’s VPS hosting plans offer weekly off-site backups of your site’s data.
Dedicated Server Hosting Plans
If you need the power of a dedicated server, HostGator has you covered. The cheapest plan from this category is the Value Server plan coming at $89.98 per month (paid every 36 months), with the current discount of 52%.
This plan offers:
- 4 core/8 thread processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 1 TB HDD
All plans offer unmetered bandwidth, Intel Xeon-D CPU, and the ability to choose between Linux or Windows OS run servers.
The second plan, called the Power Server plan, includes an 8 core/16 thread processor, as well as 16 GB RAM and 2 TB HDD/512 GB SSD memory.
The best and most expensive plan in this category is the Enterprise Server plan coming at $139.99 per month with the current 52% discount. It has the same 8 core/16 thread processor as the Power Server plan, but it offers 30 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD memory.
HostGator’s dedicated hosting plans allow you full server control, which means you’ll have at your disposal the whole array of system resources.
You’ll also be able to choose between HDD (space) and SDD (speed) hard drives, depending on what your site needs.
The dedicated hosting plans give you DDoS protection so you don’t get too worked up about your site and your resources, should an attack on your server occur.
The included IP-based firewall is there to keep your server safe and to assure optimal performance, whatever happens.
You can also choose between cPanel and WHM on Linux or Plesk and Webmatrix on the Windows server.
All of HostGator’s dedicated servers are hosted at a US location, a Tier 3 data center. Also, HostGator offers a network guarantee that your site is always going to be online.
WordPress Hosting Plans
If you’ve set your mind to having a WordPress site, it’s best to get one of HostGator’s WordPress hosting plans.
The cheapest one, called the Starter plan, starts at $5.95 per month, with the current 40% discount, paid on a 36-month basis.
It includes one site, 100k visits per month, and 1 GB data backup. The rest of the plans just double or triple the same key features from the first plan. So the second, the Starter plan, includes two sites, 200k visits per month, and 2 GB worth of backups. And the third, the Business plan, which costs $9.95 per month with the current 57% discount, offers the hosting of three sites, 500k visits per month, and 3 GB worth of data backup.
All WP hosting plans include a free domain (for a year), a free SSL certificate, and free email with up to 25 mailing lists.
Reseller Hosting Plans
If you want to offer hosting services to your clients, but don’t want the hassle that comes with creating a hosting company from scratch, then why not get one of HostGator’s reseller hosting plans?
The Aluminum plan, the cheapest in this category, comes at $19.95 per month with the current 43% discount, and of course, paid every 36 months. It offers 60 GB disk space and 600 GB bandwidth. The second plan called the Copper plan offers 90 GB disk space and 900 GB bandwidth, and the third plan, called the Silver plan offers 140 GB disk space and 1400 GB bandwidth.
All reseller hosting plans include unlimited websites and a free SSL certificate.
This hosting category also comes with a free billing software (called WHMCS or Web Hosting Billing & Automation Platform), already automatically installed in whichever plan you choose.
Also, you’ll get complete flexibility when it comes to payment methods, resource allocation, and any other services you want to provide for your clients that come to your mind.
Windows Hosting Plans
And if you really need to work on a Windows-operated server, HostGator has you covered. You can choose between two plans here – the Personal plan, coming at $4.76 per month (with a current discount of 20%) and the Enterprise plan, coming at $14.36 per month (also discounted by 20%), paid on a 36-month basis.
The Personal plan offers registration of a single domain; unmetered disk space, unmetered bandwidth, and a free SSL security certificate come in both plans. The Enterprise plan allows for the registration of five domains and it also comes with a free dedicated IP.
HostGator’s Windows hosting plan offers a host of powerful admin tools such as file manager, scheduled tasks, secure directories, and a lot more. It also offers programming features such as ASP and ASP.NET 2.0 (3.5, 4.0, and 4.7), as well as PHP, SSICurl, GD Library, MVC 5.0, and AJAX.
As with most of its hosting plans, HostGator here also offers one-click installations of important applications such as WordPress and other open-source scripts.
The Plesk control panel, loaded with features, is included in the Windows hosting plans. It will make it that much easier to create websites and set up applications, among other things.
One of the greatest things about the Windows hosting plans is how free you are to manage the server and build it as you please. You get an unlimited amount of sub-domains, FTP and email accounts, Microsoft SQL and MySQL, and Access databases.
In this section, we’ll try to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about HostGator, its features, and its services.
What is HostGator?
HostGator is a web hosting company that offers a variety of web hosting plans such as shared, reseller, VPS hosting, Cloud, and dedicated servers. In addition, they offer WordPress-specific and Windows hosting, also on VPS and dedicated servers. They have two data centers located in Texas (USA) and Provo, Utah (USA). Their official website is www.hostgator.com. Read more on their Wikipedia page
Is HostGator a good option for a WordPress site?
Yes, HostGator is definitely a good option if you want to specifically run a WordPress site. This is because HostGator has implemented one-click WordPress installations in their hosting options, allowing you to choose between necessary WP plugins and templates. What’s more, it also offers a WordPress hosting plan on their own, which you get with 24/7 customer support.
Which is a better hosting option: HostGator or Bluehost?
This is a question I’ll answer in a separate post when I’ll do a comparison between the two web hosting providers. HostGator and Bluehost are pretty similar in terms of their key features, their overall offers, and pricing plans – both of them have some of the cheapest starting plans on the market.
This means that you won’t make the wrong decision about whichever hosting platform you choose for your site. That being said, if you’re running a WordPress site, Bluehost may be a slightly better option, because they’ve been so far really really involved in developing their WordPress hosting platform. WP integration is top-notch on Bluehost – they even developed a special customer, analytics, and consultation service called Blue Sky specifically aimed towards WordPress customers wanting to expand their WP site.
Is HostGator a Good Host When it Comes to Online Businesses, i.e. eCommerce Sites?
HostGator does offer a solid basis for operating an online business. If you want a cheaper solution, you can use the Business plan from the shared hosting plan option and have Magento hosting at your disposal, which is an eCommerce platform with various useful marketing, SEO, promotion, and site management tools.
You can of course use the resources of established platforms such as WooCommerce. Of course, as your business grows, you will need to upgrade your plan to a VPS server or a dedicated server, depending on how big your eCommerce store has grown.
Which HostGator Plan Should I Start With?
There is no one straight answer to this question. It largely depends on what your budget is, what kind of site you’re running, and how many resources you need for its optimal performance.
If you are starting a blog or a single, simple website, then you should choose the most basic shared hosting plan, called the Hatchling plan, which also offers easy one-click WordPress installations. If you need to run several sites at the same time, but still don’t need too many resources, then you might want to consider getting the Baby shared hosting plan since it offers support for multiple websites.
Of course, you can always upgrade your hosting plan, should your site grow, experience an increase in traffic, or require better security.
Does HostGator Offer Free Site Migration?
The good news is – yes they do, and it's free for all types of websites, not just WordPress ones! HostGator offers to migrate your site for free on all their plans, regardless of whether it’s the cheapest plan or the most expensive one.
What is CodeGuard?
Their CodeGuard service is a paid addon that provides automatic backups of your website. CodeGuard also monitors your website and sends you alerts if any changes happen. And, finally, CodeGuard also offers a restore option so that you can easily revert your website back to a previous version.
What is SiteLock?
Does HostGator Offer SSL Certificates, CDN, and SSD Drive?
This depends on the plan you choose. For example, if you decide to go with the most premium shared plan, yes, you will receive a free private SSL certificate. However, for the most basic plans, this is not the case. Unfortunately, you will have to invest in the WordPress managed hosting plan to receive access to free CDN services, and use dedicated servers to have the option of using SSD storage.
Can I Trust HostGator Reviews on Sites Like Reddit and Quora?
Yes, Quora and Reddit are great places to learn more about the company and get reviews, questions, and opinions from real people and customers using them. Browse customer reviews on Reddit, and on Quora. Review sites like Yelp and Trustpilot can also be useful.
What Are the Best HostGator Alternatives?
HostGator is one of the most popular web hosting service providers out there. However, if you are researching web hosts and are looking for a good alternative to HostGator then here are my recommendations. I believe that the best alternative to HostGator is Bluehost (same price but better features however it's also owned by EIG). The best non-EIG alternative is SiteGround (read my review to see why SiteGround is #1)
Are HostGator and Bluehost the Same Company?
No, HostGator and Bluehost are separate companies; but they are both subsidiaries of Endurance International Group (EIG). EIG also owns hosting companies like iPage, FatCow, HostMonster, JustHost, Arvixe, A Small Orange, Site5, eHost, and a bunch of smaller web hosts.
Where Can I Find HostGator Coupon Codes That Work?
The best place to find a HostGator coupon code is to visit our Hostgator deals page. Here you can browse great deals on web hosting and domains and be sure that you get 100% valid coupons from them.
HostGator Review 2022 – Summary
Is HostGator any good?
Yes, HostGator is a good solution if you want a web hosting provider that is cheap, easy to manage, has a decent speed, and offers an uptime of 99.99%.
It's a good provider if you’re just starting out with a single site or want to manage multiple small sites, for which you can choose their basic shared plans, especially if your budget is tight.
That being said, if you want a bit more speed, increased security, and more features; if your site grows and needs more resources to function better, but you’re still on a tight budget, their cloud plans are a good option for when you need to upgrade.
And, also, if you’re specifically interested in creating a WordPress site, you can choose one of their special WordPress-managed hosting plans and get everything that you need for your WP site all in one place.
HostGator offers a whole variety of attractive features, such as their easy-to-use website builder, simple cPanel, and QuickInstall tool that allows you to install your favorite apps on your site within minutes.
What this means is that HostGator definitely offers good value for your money, especially with some of their cheaper plans.
Of course, this doesn’t mean that HostGator has everything you’re looking for. But that’s why there are so many other web hosting providers on the market! This just means that you’ll have to do your fair share of research and see what are the most important features for your site and the ones that you think are absolutely necessary to grow and expand your business.
If you think HostGator is able to do that, I recommend that you don’t think twice and give it a shot! After all, there’s that 45-day grace period you can fall back on.
I love HostGator's entry plan as a freelancer and a startup seller. Though my plan may have limited features, this has helped me reached my goals so far.
10 years with HostGators
I'm celebrating 10 years with my chosen HostGator plan. I can say that it really suits my needs and preferences perfectly. I'm 100% satisfied.
My Hosting Provider For Decades
I love HostGator for years. This is very easy to use at a highly competitive price. It also comes with all the tools you need for online marketing strategies, so you don't have to worry much about conversions, sales, or even increasing ROI. This hosting provider will almost provide everything for you in a quick yet surefire way!
Lots of upselling
I hate HostGator. It's full of hidden charges…not my type to be bothered by such foolishness!
A Wide Array of Choices
HostGator has varying plans that may sometimes confuse you. The company even offers reseller plans for another advantage. It is so user-friendly with such freebies as website transfer, website builder and a free domain for a year. However, if you are pretty much into site speed, this is not a good choice.
- 12/01/2022 – Major review update. Complete overhaul and update of information, images, and pricing
- 10/12/2021 – Minor update
- 30/04/2021 – Gator Website Builder update
- 01/01/2021 – HostGator pricing edit
- 15/07/2020 – Gator Website Builder
- 01/02/2020 – Pricing updates
- 02/01/2019 – Managed WordPress hosting plans