Wix is a terrific website builder, but there are better Wix alternatives ⇣ out there for building websites more easily, and cheaper.
Creating a stunning website doesn't get any easier when using a website builder like Wix. Today's website builder tools create sites that are mobile-optimized, and have built-in advanced image editors, and use easy drag-and-drop functionality.
- Best overall: Squarespace ⇣ is the leading all-in-one website builder for anyone looking to create a beautiful website as it has the best quality designs and features on the market right now.
- Best ecommerce alternative: Shopify ⇣ is the nobrainer Wix competitor if you want to create a professional online store without coding.
- Best cheap Wix alternative: Zyro ⇣ is an easy-to-use AND cheap website builder that you can use to build all types of sites including simple blogs and complex ecommerce sites.
Best Wix alternatives in 2021
Wix is considered one of the best website builders, but that doesn’t mean it's best for YOU. Here are Wix competitors with better/more features and/or cheaper prices for building your website.
Now let's have a look at the 10 best Wix alternatives right now:
|Serial||Logo and Links||Features||Button|
1. Squarespace (Winner: Best Wix alternative)
- Official website: www.squarespace.com
- One of the most popular drag and drop website builders.
- Known for the hundreds of beautiful design templates offered.
- Save 10% off your first subscription by using the code PARTNER10.
Squarespace is one of the few website builders that those in the know either love or hate.
I'm certainly one of those who love it, and I really don't see why everyone else doesn't too.
For one, it offers a great selection of professionally designed templates, impressive native integrations, and decent ecommerce capabilities. And, it boasts some of the best blogging tools I've seen.
On the downside, its editor is a little limited, and it's certainly hard to get used to, but there's little else not to like.
- A great selection of attractive templates
- Decent ecommerce capabilities
- Impressive blogging tools
- See my Squarespace review for more features
- No free forever plan
- Design flexibility is limited
- A steep learning curve
Squarespace Plans and Pricing:
Unlike most of the Wix alternatives on this list, Squarespace has no free forever plan. However, it does offer a 14-day free trial so you can test its premium subscriptions.
Squarespace prices start from $16 per month for a Personal plan, increasing to $26 for a Business subscription, $35 for Basic Commerce, and $54 for Advanced Commerce.
Save 10% off your first subscription by using the code PARTNER10. Go to Squarespace.com.
Why Use Squarespace Instead of Wix
Squarespace shares a lot of similarities with Wix. They both offer a drag and drop platform that allows you to build more than just pretty looking websites.
Whether you want to whip out a basic portfolio site or build a full-blown online store, Squarespace can help you.
If you are just starting out, Squarespace may not be the best platform for you. Their tools come with a little bit of a learning curve.
Why Use Wix Instead of Squarespace
If you are just starting out and need an easy beginner-friendly website builder, then go with Wix or a Squarespace alternative.
2. Shopify (Best ecommerce builder alternative)
- Official website: www.shopify.com
- The most popular ecommerce software platform for building online stores.
- Manage everything from marketing to payment processing on one platform.
- Shopify pricing starts at $9 per month.
Although it's difficult to get current figures, it's no argument that Shopify powers a huge percentage of the world's online stores. It's the most popular ecommerce builder available, and I'm a big fan.
For one, it offers a great selection of online selling tools, along with a decent enough store builder, integrations with numerous third-party platforms, great analytics, and much, much more.
- Leading online selling tools
- Great statistics and analytics portal
- A huge selection of third-party integrations
- Quite expensive compared to Wix
- Design flexibility is a little limited
- Poor choice for anything other than online stores
Shopify Plans and Pricing:
There are five different subscription options, along with a 14-day free trial for those starting a new store.
The cheapest Shopify Lite plan ($9 per month) allows you to sell through an existing website. Here I explain Shopify's pricing in more detail.
The Basic Shopify ($29 per month), Shopify ($79 per month), and Advanced Shopify ($299 per month) plan come with increasingly powerful online store tools, along with access to the platform's native website builder.
And finally, custom-priced Shopify Plus solutions are available for enterprise-level clients.
Why Use Shopify Instead of Wix
Shopify is the best choice and the most recommended option for beginners wanting to build an online store. It comes with everything you will need to easily start and manage an online store.
The platform is built with beginners in mind and comes packed with all the must-have ecommerce software features, yet it's very easy to use.
Why Use Wix Instead of Shopify
Wix is much easier to use than Shopify but lacks a lot of functionality that Shopify has to offer. If you want to start an online store, then Shopify makes more sense. But if you just want to build a site to test the waters, then go with Wix.
3. Zyro (Best cheap Wix alternative)
- Official website: www.zyro.com
- Zyro is a powerful website builder tool that makes it easy for anyone to build a beautiful website or launch an online store.
- Comes with AI-driven marketing features, such as a Writing Tool, Logo Builder, Slogan Generator and Business Name Generator.
Zyro is my number one choice for those on a budget because of the excellent value for money it offers.
It's very easy to use, includes a great selection of attractive templates, and boasts a decent drag-and-drop editor.
There are various ecommerce tools available, and I'm confident that you'll find everything you need to build a fully functional online store.
Getting started with Zyro's website builder is easy. First choose a theme from their huge template library and pick the one that stands out to you the most. Then you can customize everything, from images, text, and other website elements, plus you can use Zyro's AI tools to generate designs, content, call-to-action buttons.
- Very competitively priced
- Beginner-friendly ecommerce builder
- Intuitive drag-and-drop editor
- Read my Zyro review here
- Numerous advanced features are lacking
- Few integrations are available
Zyro Plans and Pricing:
Zyro offers four premium subscriptions with a 30-day money-back guarantee and significant long-term discounts.
Prices range from $2.47 per month for a four-year Basic plan to $12.67 per month for a four-year eCommerce Plus subscription.
Note that you can expect to pay much more with both shorter subscriptions and on renewal.
Why Use Zyro Instead of Wix
Zyro is cheaper than Wix and its website building tool's main focus is on offering users a smooth and clean interface, packing easy-to-use tools for both customizing and designing your business or personal website, or online store.
Zyro comes with AI-driven marketing features, such as a Logo Builder, Slogan Generator, and Business Name Generator. Plus an AI Writer and AI Heatmap tools for further content optimization.
Why Use Wix Instead of Zyro
Wix offers a lot more functionality, integrations, and features than Zyro. And Wix has been in business much longer and is more trusted in the industry.
- Official website: www.site123.com
- Easy to use website builder that comes with a free plan.
- Allows you to build eCommerce sites as well.
Site123 certainly isn't the most powerful website builder available, but it remains one of my favorite options for beginners who just want to get online quickly.
Really, everything here is targeted at those with little experience. Take advantage of a simple yet functional website editor, basic ecommerce tools, attractive themes, and more.
- Very easy to use
- Full ecommerce capabilities
- Decent free forever plan
- Advanced features are lacking
- Limited design flexibility
- Templates could be better
Site123 Plans and Pricing:
Site123 offers a decent free forever plan, along with four paid options.
Prices start from $6.50 per month for a 60-month basic solution (increasing to $19 per month with the minimum three-month plan).
Expect to pay at least $11 per month to unlock ecommerce tools ($39 with a three-month plan) or $15 ($47 with a three-month plan) for the most expensive Gold subscription.
Why Use Site123 Instead of Wix
Site123 offers an easy-to-use site builder that you can use to build all types of sites including simple blogs and complex eCommerce sites.
Why Use Wix Instead of Site123
Wix offers a lot more functionality and features than Site123. And they have been in business much longer and are more trusted in the industry.
- Official website: www.weebly.com
- Weebly’s eCommerce platform is powered by Square.
- Website builder that is built with ecommerce in mind.
If you want to build a website with online store features, then I would highly recommend giving Weebly a go.
Powered by the Square ecommerce platform and backed by a suite of online selling features, it's a great option for those who want to build an online store with a minimal amount of fuss.
On top of this, Weebly is known for its industry-leading templates, advanced addons, and foolproof editor. Note, though, that design flexibility is a little limited.
- Very attractive website templates
- Great ecommerce tools
- Beginner-friendly editor
- Limited design flexibility
- No global undo button
- Poor option for multi-lingual sites
Weebly Plans and Pricing:
Weebly has a decent free forever plan and three paid subscription options.
Prices start from $6 per month, which will give you the ability to connect a custom domain.
$12 per month gets you unlimited storage, a free domain, and removes platform advertising, while $26 per month unlocks a suite of advanced ecommerce and marketing tools.
Why Use Weebly Instead of Wix
Weebly is more suited for people who wish to build an ecommerce site without writing a single line of code. The drag and drop builder allows you to easily customize the design of the pages of your site.
Why Use Wix Instead of Weebly
If you want a simple site builder to build a basic website, then Wix is the way to go.
6. GoDaddy Website Builder
- Official website: www.godaddy.com
- GoDaddy is one of the most trusted web hosts and domain providers on the Internet.
- Going with GoDaddy allows you to manage everything all in one place including your domains and web hosting accounts.
Although it's a little basic, the GoDaddy Website Builder remains one of the best options for those who want to get a simple site online as fast as possible.
Its templates are limited and design flexibility isn't amazing, but I can honestly say that it shouldn't take you any more than a few hours to build an attractive, fully functional website.
On top of this, you will benefit from the power of the GoDaddy ecosystem, which includes an industry-leading domain registrar, decent web hosting, and more.
- Extremely beginner-friendly
- Decent free forever plan
- Leading Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) tools
- Numerous advanced features are absent
- Ecommerce tools are very limited
- Design flexibility could be better
GoDaddy Plans and Pricing:
GoDaddy offers a very basic free forever plan, along with four paid options for premium users.
Prices range from $9.99 to $24.99 per month but expect to pay the higher price if you need ecommerce capabilities.
Why Use GoDaddy Website Builder Instead of Wix
GoDaddy is the big daddy of web hosting and domain name registration. If you want to be able to scale your website more than just a few pages built with a drag and drop builder, then you should go with GoDaddy. They offer everything you need to run and scale a website easily.
Why Use Wix Instead of GoDaddy Website Builder
Wix is much easier to use than GoDaddy’s GoCentral Website Builder. Wix’s whole platform is built just to provide a drag-and-drop website building.
- Official website: www.strikingly.com
- Started out as a drag and drop builder for building personal sites.
- Allows building all types of websites including eCommerce sites.
Strikingly is yet another website builder that's targeted directly at beginners.
Take advantage of its simple store and simple blog add-ons, include things like signup forms and live chat, or create a basic website to showcase your business.
Regardless of what you're using it for, the key to remember here is that Strikingly is very easy to use, shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to get the hang of and is quite competitively priced.
- A versatile, all-inclusive builder
- Very easy to use
- Decent free forever plan
- Design flexibility is limited
- Poor option for larger sites
- Some advanced features are notably absent
Strikingly Plans and Pricing:
Strikingly offers a basic but fully functional free forever plan, along with three premium options. All paid plans come with a 14-day free trial, and significant discounts are available with long-term subscriptions.
Prices for an annual subscription range from $8 to $49 per month, but expect to pay at least $16 per month if you want anything more than the most basic features.
Why Use Strikingly Instead of Wix
Strikingly offers everything you will need to build and manage your website including marketing tools and analytics. You can use Strikingly to build a beautiful portfolio site or sell your own products online.
Why Use Wix Instead of Strikingly
Wix offers a little more functionality and more tools to help you run your website. But Strikingly is a little easier to use and learn.
- Official website: www.ucraft.com
- Free website builder with hundreds of beautiful templates to choose from.
- Allows you to connect your domain name for free.
Although it's far from the most popular website builder on the market, there's still a lot to like about Ucraft.
For one, it really focuses on design, which makes it a great option for those who need to draw attention to the visual aspects of their website.
It has a great free forever plan, numerous high-quality templates, decent ecommerce tools, and a great blogging platform, among other things.
- Great blogging tools
- Attractive templates
- Decent security and analytics features
- Can be a little confusing to get started with
- Poor option for larger websites
- Paid plans are expensive
Ucraft Plans and Pricing:
Ucraft boasts one free forever plan, along with three Personal and three Branded (business) options.
Prices for a Personal plan range from $10 to $69 per month, while the Branded options cost between $39 and $109 per month.
Discounts are available with annual payments.
Why Use Ucraft Instead of Wix
Ucraft offers a simple interface to create and manage your websites. They offer a free plan which allows you to build a basic website if you are just out testing the waters.
Unlike most other website builders on this list, Ucraft is one of the only few that allows you to connect a custom domain name to your website for free without upgrading to a premium plan.
Why Use Wix Instead of Ucraft
With Wix, you can build a full-blown website with as much or as little functionality as you like. Ucraft is a bit limited that way.
- Official website: www.boldgrid.com
- Create a website powered by WordPress without having to deal with web hosting server setup.
- Use the BoldGrid builder to easily build and customize the design of your website.
Why Use BoldGrid Instead of Wix
BoldGrid simply allows you to build a WordPress powered website and then lets you use the BoldGrid Builder to design your website however you like. The builder comes with dozens of templates to choose from.
Why Use Wix Instead of BoldGrid
Unlike BoldGrid, which involves using and learning WordPress, Wix is much easier to learn and understand.
- Official website: https://wordpress.org/
- The world's most popular content management system
- Huge plugin and template libraries
- Offers unrivaled design flexibility
- A great option for everything from simple blogs to large online stores
- Great for those who want to add custom code
WordPress.org is the world's most popular content management system, powering a huge percentage of the world's websites.
As an open-source platform, it's 100% free to sign up for and use. There are literally thousands of templates available, along with a huge selection of plugins that you can use to add functionality to your site.
On top of this, WordPress.org offers the pinnacle of design flexibility. Take advantage of any one of a number of drag-and-drop editing interfaces, use the native WordPress editor, or add your own custom code.
- Excellent design flexibility with coding knowledge
- Huge plugin and template libraries
- Extremely versatile platform
- Can be confusing for beginners
- Premium add-ons can be expensive
- The native editor is a little limited
WordPress.org Plans and Pricing:
WordPress.org is an open-source platform that's 100% free, forever. Unlike WordPress.com, you will have to pay for a custom domain name, along with any premium themes or plugins that you need to use.
At the cheapest end of the spectrum, you should be able to get away with a few dollars per month. However, prices can stretch to thousands per month if you're not careful.
Why Use WordPress.org Instead of Wix?
If you want to use the world's most popular (and arguably, the most powerful) website building platform, then WordPress.org is it. The template and plugin libraries are huge, full code access is available, and your site's design will only be limited by your skills and imagination.
Why Use Wix Instead of WordPress.org?
Wix is a better option for those with no coding knowledge who just want to get online with a minimum amount of fuss. It's a lot more beginner-friendly than WordPress.org, and you won't have to worry about hosting or virtually anything else.
What Is Wix
Wix is a drag-and-drop website builder that helps you design a professional looking website on your own. And that’s not all.
It allows you to build websites with as much or as little functionality you want. Whether you want to start a blog or build an eCommerce site, Wix has got you covered.
Virtually anyone who knows anything about the website builder industry will agree that Wix is up there among the most powerful platforms available.
In fact, I would argue that it is the most powerful.
For one, its drag-and-drop editor offers exceptional, pixel-perfect design flexibility. It can be a little confusing to get started with, but once you're familiar with it, I'm sure you'll love it.
There are also more than 500 attractive templates to choose from, which means that you shouldn't have any trouble selecting one to base your site on.
Add in full ecommerce functionality, numerous add-ons available through the Wix App Market, the Wix ADI design tool, and various other features for a winning combination.
Wix.com allows you to build fully functional websites without writing a single line of code. All you have to do is drag and drop elements on the page to edit the design.
Wix's main features are:
- More than 500 stunning, mobile optimized, designs and templates covering all industries.
- Powerful customization tools including one of the best drag-and-drop editor in the business.
- Ecommerce ready allowing you to sell digital or physical goods using multiple payment methods.
- Connect your own domain name and SSL certificate.
- 24/7 support by phone and email, plus loads of help articles and videos.
- For a full list of features, check out my Wix review here.
Wix Pros and Cons
- Wix is easy to use and reasonably priced. And there is a free version available.
- The templates (500+) to choose from are modern, sleek, and come in categories for different industries such as gyms, restaurants, portfolios etc.
- Designs are flexible and you can control where every element will be placed on the page in the drag-and-drop website editor.
- Built in ecommerce capabilities, social media, email marketing and search engine optimization (SEO).
- Automatic site backups.
- Huge app marketplace where you can enhance your site with more features.
- Wix isn’t the cheapest website builder out there. If you’re on a tight budget, you should check out the Wix competitors below.
- You can use a different another template to your site after you’ve built it.
- Ecommerce limitations. Wix isn't built for creating large online stores, and multi-currency selling isn't possible.
Wix offers a great free forever plan, along with four premium website-specific plans, three business and ecommerce plans, and custom enterprise-level solutions.
The four website-specific solutions range from $14 to $39 per month. All come with full access to the Wix website builder, a free domain and SSL certificate, and increasingly advanced features.
On the business side of the equation, prices start at $23 per month for a Business Basic plan. Upgrade to the $27 per month Business Unlimited option for extra ecommerce tools, or pay $49 per month to unlock the full power of the Wix platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Wix?
Wix is a popular website builder with an intuitive drag-and-drop editor which makes it easy for beginners to create a professional website
What are the pros of Wix?
The main pros of using Wix to build a website are the easy to use and intuitive drag and drop interface, the huge collection of templates, which together makes it easy for beginners to build a professional website.
What are the cons of Wix?
The main cons of Wix are that you cannot change templates after your website is published. Another major con is Wix's proprietary technology which means you cannot export your Wix website to another software.
Does Wix have a free plan?
Yes Wix offers a plan that is forever-free, however, its features are limited and you cannot use your own domain name.
Which are the best Wix competitors?
There are a number of good Wix alternatives out there that offer similar features and pricing. Squarespace is the overall best competitor to Wix. The main difference between the two is the quality of the design options and templates that Squarespace offers. The best ecommerce alternative to Wix is Shopify.
Best Wix Alternatives: Summary
So is Wix any good? Yes, it's a really good website builder, but…
If you want to create a drag-and-drop website using award-winning templates then Squarespace is the best alternative to Wix.
If you want to build a full-blown eCommerce site, then go with Shopify. Their platform is built with the aim to make it easy to build and manage an eCommerce site.
If price is a major concern for you, then you can't go wrong with Zyro's cheap plans.