Grammarly is one of the most popular grammar and writing analysis tools on the Internet. It is a huge upgrade from the spelling checkers that are built-in to Microsoft Word and web browsers like Google Chrome. But there are a bunch of really good Grammarly alternatives ⇣ out there. Here’s a collection of the best ones.
Although Grammarly can help you fix grammar mistakes and improve your writing style, it may not be the best option for you. There are other tools out there that you need to check out before going all-in on Grammarly. To save you hours of research, we have compiled some of the best alternatives to Grammarly there are on the market.
Reddit is a great place to learn more about Grammarly. Here are a few Reddit posts that I think you’ll find interesting. Check them out and join the discussion!
- Best overall: ProWritingAid ⇣ is much more than just a grammar checker. It’s a writing mentor that analyzes your writing style and offers suggestions to improve it.
- Runner-up, Best overall: Ginger Software ⇣ is an all-in-one easy to use grammar checker, punctuation, and spell checker tool that automatically detects and corrects misused words and grammar mistakes.
- Best SEO alternative to Grammarly: Copywritely ⇣ is a writing assistant for SEOs, marketers and copywriters. It does what Grammarly does but it also gives you text analysis and content optimization for detecting SEO issues so that you can fix them and get better rankings.
Best Grammarly alternatives in 2023
Here is a list of the best alternatives to Grammarly right now:
Students get 20% off ProWritingAid Premium
From $20 per month
ProWritingAid is used by thousands of professional writers, editors, and students around the world. It is much more than just a grammar checker. It analyzes your writing style and offers suggestions to improve it.
It also acts like a writing mentor helping you improve your writing every time you use it. It works across all your favorite writing applications and websites including Google Docs, Microsoft Outlook, Open Office, etc.
- Apps and extensions are available for all your browsers including Google Chrome and Firefox.
- Works with applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Scrivener, and Open Office.
- A Grammar Checker, Style Editor, and Writing Mentor packed in one tool.
Why use ProWritingAid instead of Grammarly
If you want more than just a Grammar Checker, then you should give ProWritingAid a try. It analyzes your writing and offers you suggestions to improve your writing and acts as a writing mentor to help you improve your writing style.
Ginger Software is one of the best grammar checker tools on the Internet. It is available for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari as a browser extension. It is also available for iOS and Android, so you can write mistake-free across all the devices that you use.
The Ginger browser extension works on almost all websites including the ones that you use most frequently, such as Twitter and Facebook, or Slack, and Zendesk, if you run a business
- Applications are available for Android and iOS devices.
- Browser extensions work on all websites including the popular ones such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Analyzes your writing and offer suggestions to improve your writing style.
Why use Ginger instead of Grammarly
Unlike the other tools on this list, Copywritely is created for the sole purpose of creating SEO-optimized content. It analyzes your content and offers suggestions on improving it for both people and search engines. It checks your text for both grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes. It also offers suggestions to improve your writing style.
It is used by thousands of copywriters, marketers, and editors who want to create the best possible content for their audience.
The best part about this tool is that it analyzes your competitor’s content and offers suggestions on making yours better optimized for search engines. It also comes with dozens of built-in task templates to help you easily outsource your writing to freelance copywriters. It also checks your text for plagiarism.
Not only that, but it also analyzes your content for keyword density to help you avoid algorithmic penalties from Google. It allows you to detect keyword stuffing and improve your keyword targeting ratios. It also gives your content a readability score and offers suggestions to improve it.
- It helps you create content that is loved by both people and search engines.
- One of the easiest ways to optimize your content for search engines without losing the quality.
- It offers suggestions to fix grammar and spelling mistakes. It also offers suggestions to improve your writing style.
Why use Copywritely instead of Grammarly
Copywritely is made for SEOs and content marketers who want to produce the best quality content that can rank high in search engines and is loved by readers.
Hemingway Editor (Desktop App)
Hemingway Editor, unlike other tools on this list, is a writing analysis tool that helps you improve your writing. Even though it doesn’t offer grammar checking, it analyzes your text and offers you hundreds of suggestions to improve it.
Hemingway Editor is a desktop app for Windows and Mac OSX, and it costs $19.99.
Writing in Hemingway will not only make your writing more readable but will also improve your writing style every time you use it. It tells you when your writing is difficult to read or when you should replace words with a better alternative. The best part about this tool is that gives your content a readability rating.
- A writing tool used by many professional bloggers and writers.
- It helps you analyze your writing and offers suggestions on making it much more readable.
- Use this tool along with other grammar checking tools such as Grammarly to get the most out of it.
Why use Hemingway Editor instead of Grammarly
Hemingway Editor is not a grammar checker or spell checker. It is a writing tool that helps you improve your writing style and make it more readable and accessible to everyone. When used along with Grammarly or some other grammar checking tool, it can help you improve your writing style and make it more readable.
WhiteSmoke is one of the oldest and most popular Grammar Checking tools on the Internet. WhiteSmoke is much more than just a spelling checker. It is a proofreader that helps you fix everything from simple grammatical mistakes to style mistakes. WhiteSmoke is used by popular brands such as Dictionary.com, Pearson, McGill, and the University of Toronto.
- One of the oldest and most trusted grammar checkers on the Internet.
- It helps you fix grammar mistakes and offers suggestions to improve writing style.
- Available for both desktop and mobile devices, so you can write mistake-free across all your devices.
Why use WhiteSmoke instead of Grammarly
WhiteSmoke is a premium proofreading tool that uses the latest natural language technologies to help you write better and even improve your writing.
PaperRater is an online tool that checks your writing for Grammar and Spelling mistakes, and plagiarism. It is only available as an online tool, so there is no need to download a desktop application or install a browser extension. The free version of the app allows checking up to 5 pages per submission.
The premium subscription, however, allows checking up to 20 pages per submission.
- A free tool that checks your writing for grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes.
- Allows checking text for plagiarism.
- It offers suggestions to help you improve writing and gives your writing a score.
Why use PaperRater instead of Grammarly
PaperRater is free for up to 50 submissions per month. It analyzes your writing and gives it a score. It also offers suggestions to help you improve your writing style.
LanguageTool is a proofreading software that offers suggestions to fix grammatical mistakes and spelling mistakes in your text. It is available as a browser extension for both Google Chrome and Firefox.
It is one of the best tools when it comes to proofreading. It can help you fix grammatical mistakes and improve your writing style. The premium version of this tool checks your text against 2500 different errors and offers suggestions to improve your writing.
The best part about this tool is that it works with many different languages including English, German, French, Dutch, etc. It checks your writing for errors in all the supported languages.
- Works with a lot of other languages than just English.
- Checks your text for over 2500 errors.
- It helps you fix grammar and spelling mistakes but also helps you improve your writing style.
Why use LanguageTool instead of Grammarly
Grammarly only supports English. LanguageTool comes with support for many languages other than English including German, French, Romanian, and Dutch.
What is Grammarly?
Grammarly is a free tool that checks your writing for grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes, and offers suggestions on improving your writing style. It can help you avoid mistakes before you hit the send button on your next email.
No more proofreading emails a hundred times before you hit the send button. Grammarly does it for you and does it a lot better than the default spelling checkers offered by your operating system and browser.
Grammarly is available for all the platforms where you may write. It is available as an extension for web browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox. It is also available as a standalone desktop application for Mac and Windows. Not only that, but it also comes with an app for Android and iOS that can replace your default keyboard with Grammarly.
Grammarly checks for over 200 grammar mistakes you might make in your text. It also offers suggestions on improving your writing style to suit the tone of voice you want to convey.
Grammarly Pros and Cons
Grammarly is available for free for all your devices and can easily catch simple grammar mistakes. But if you want the best that this tool has to offer, you need to take out your wallet.
So, is Grammarly any good? You betcha! Grammarly is one of the best advanced and easy-to-use writing assistants to eliminate grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes.
The Pro version of Grammarly tests your text against a lot more grammatical errors and even checks your text for plagiarism.
Although the Pro version can give you a hand in proofreading your writing, it costs $139 per year or $59 per quarter or you can go with the most expensive of all plans, the monthly plan, which costs $29 per month.
If you are just starting out or are low on budget, then the Grammarly pro version is not the best solution for you.
Summary – What are the Best Grammarly Alternative in 2023?
All the tools on this list offer a free version for your test before you buy it. I recommend testing at least one or two alternatives on this list before settling for one that you like. Most of these tools will offer suggestions to help you improve your writing style.
If your focus is improving your writing style, then I recommend going with Hemingway Editor. It is available for both web and as a standalone desktop application. It doesn’t offer grammar checking, so we recommend you use it along with a grammar-checking tool such as Grammarly or Ginger.
If you want a tool that can help you improve your writing style and checks your text for errors as well, I recommend going with ProWritingAid. It will help you improve your writing and checks your writing for errors too.
And finally, artificial intelligence has come a long way and today there are really good AI writing tools producing grammar and error-free human-like content.
Students get 20% off ProWritingAid Premium
From $20 per month