Google Sites is a free site builder but very limited. Features like integration of e-commerce tools, digital marketing, completely custom databases, and Google Analytics, among others, are either missing or limited that it’s time to get the best Google Sites alternatives ⇣ you could go for instead, to create a professional website.
From $14 per month
Create Your Stunning Website For Free!
Google Sites is a free website builder that lets you create websites for both public and private use. It comes with an array of helpful tools to make website building easy, free of cost.
- Wix: Overall best alternative to Google Sites (Wix is a powerful easy to use website builder for absolute begginers – it comes with a free plan)
- Squarespace: Runner up (Easy to use builder with stunning templates – but no free plan)
- WordPress: Best affordable and customizable alternative (Create any type of website with WordPress – site, blog or online store)
- Shopify: Best Google Sites alternative for building online stores (The #1 choice for building ecommerce sites)
Create Your Stunning Website For Free!
From $14 per month
Wix is a beginner-friendly free alternative with lots of stunning templates. Squarespace makes the best websites in terms of visuals and provides unlimited storage & bandwidth. WordPress has thousands of customizable features and plugins, all at a great value.
Zyro, Site123, Strikingly, and GoDaddy all make website building look easy and doable by anyone. Zyro makes fast-loading sites, while Site123 has a responsive and intuitive user interface.
With its e-commerce tools and useful plugins, Shopify is the ultimate choice for businesses looking to go digital or for new entrepreneurs setting up an online store.
Strikingly makes attractive one-page sites perfect for small businesses, minimalist blogs, and personal projects. GoDaddy website builder integrates all of GoDaddy's services to make and publish a website within minutes.
Check for more details on why these sites are the best alternatives for Google Sites.
Best Alternatives to Google Sites
Here are my top 8 Google Sites alternatives that will help you to build a professional website.
- Hundreds of professionally designed templates to choose from
- Easy-to-use drag and drop editor
- Suitable for a variety of websites – small business, personal portfolio, and online store
- Online storage for the website's assets
- No website coding or FTP knowledge is needed
- Official website: www.wix.com
If you are looking for a beginner-friendly and free website builder with an intuitive interface, then Wix is the right pick for you. It’s one of the best Google sites alternatives out there.
With Wix's professionally designed templates, you can create your own free website without much trouble. There's no need to learn codes like web developers because the customizable templates use drag and drop features.
With over 70 different types of templates, Wix lets you create a website for virtually anything – with marketing tools, search engine optimization, e-commerce tools, and more. The drag and drop interface makes it much easier, too.
Make anything starting from landing pages to portfolios to online stores where you can sell products.
Creative Freedom & Stunning Visuals
Get your creative flow on because Wix lets you create beautiful websites with unlimited cool options – animated titles, video backgrounds, etc. Your site will look like professional designers' work.
- Very easy to get the hang of
- Flexible with lots of options – your creativity is the limit
- A useful free option along with paid services
- Covers a wide range of different websites – useful for anything
- Mobile sites available
- Electronic wallets are not available as payment options
- Published sites cannot be customized further
Plans & Pricing
You can build a free version of your website, which will have ads and a nametag of Wix. For premium features, Wix's pricing is:
The premium plans include features such as custom domains, ad removal, increased bandwidth, video hours. You can also buy premium plans for online stores, which lets you accept payment.
Why Wix Is Better Than Google Sites?
Wix is a simple platform that can make stunning websites with just a few clicks. The visuals and editing freedom you will get here are incredible and certainly better than Google sites.
Visit the Wix website for more features and the latest deals
… or check out my Wix review
- Sophisticated themes and templates
- Dedicated blogging and online commerce features
- 1000 page limits, unlimited bandwidth & storage
- SSL Certificate available for free
- Official website: www.squarespace.com
Templates for Everything
Squarespace has over 140 templates across 18 categories – covering almost any kind of professional website. You can make state-of-the-art business websites and responsive websites with this website builder.
However, these templates are heavily picture-based. So, to make a new website look good, you'll have to have high-quality pictures at your disposal.
This feature makes the Squarespace website builder a good alternative. It has built-in marketing analytics tools for e-commerce sites. You can track the data related to clients and orders and notice the trends regarding your e-commerce store.
Integrated Apps and Tools
This is perhaps the standout feature of this website builder. It has an advanced integration of social networks, search engines, and related tools to provide superior performance. With the optimized search engine, your website will get better visibility.
You can also grow your online presence with the helpful blogging features for your personal profile, such as social networks, podcasts, pop-ups, cart auto-recovery, capture emails, etc.
- High integration of marketing, ecommerce, and SEO tools
- Builds safe websites thanks to the SSL certificate
- Amazing features to make blogging easy
- Analytics helps businesses track trends
- Unlimited bandwidth and storage – which is unavailable in others
- No basic free version is available
- Requires high-quality professional images
- Not the most beginner-friendly
Plans & Pricing
You will get a 14-day free trial, after which you must choose out of these premium plans.
With the premium ones, you can get a custom domain, SSL security, unlimited storage & bandwidth, SEO features, more templates, advanced analytics, integrated e-commerce, and more. For more details see my Squarespace pricing page.
Why Squarespace Is Better Than Google Sites
Squarespace is an amazing website builder for e-commerce and blog sites – with lots of useful tools you will not get on Google sites. Overall, it is the perfect builder for a professional website.
Visit the Squarespace website for more features and the latest deals
- Specialized in building online stores
- Built-in digital marketing tools
- Complete online business management system
- Integrates retail stores with the online marketplace
- One-stop platform for inventory, sourcing, shipping, and payments
- Official website: www.shopify.com
Set Up a Business from Scratch
With Oberlo in Shopify, you can make e-commerce stores from scratch. It will help you find products, which you will then advertise in your store. If orders are placed, you do not have to fuss with inventory or packaging – Oberlo will do everything for you!
Shopify sites can sell products worldwide. There are 133 currencies, up to20 languages, international domains, international pricing all available to run the sites anywhere in the world.
Take Retail Business Online
You can also digitize a retail store by opening up its digital counterpart in Shopify. You can assign up to 8 inventory locations (based on your plan) and make use of point-of-sale features.
- Ideal choice for larger stores
- Unlimited storage, product listing, and monthly data transfer
- Superfast customer service
- Makes modern, easy to navigate, and aesthetically pleasing sites
- 133 currencies added for seamless global selling
- You cannot add features not included in your template of choice
- Customization feature is not the most flexible
Plans & Pricing
As far as price goes, Shopify websites cost a pretty penny – but the number of features for e-commerce is unparalleled. You can use a 14-day free trial, after which you'll have to buy one of these Shopify plans
While the price is quite high, you get features such as country-specific domains, international pricing, abandoned cart recovery, retail inventory locations, etc.
Why Shopify Is Better Than Google Sites
If your goal is to run the best online store possible – Shopify can give you lots of amazing features Google sites cannot. It is a good alternative for people looking to build a business online.
Visit the Shopify website for more features and the latest deals
… or check out my Shopify review
- Fast website builder – can be done in under an hour
- Loads at lightning speed
- Powerful ecommerce site builder
- Integrated SEO and marketing tools
- Official website: www.zyro.com
Dedicated Ecommerce Store Website Builder
If you want to build an online store, Zyro can help you create a beautiful website that is also function-rich. It has built-in social media and Google marketing tools to increase the reach of an online store. And your product pages will never look better!
I would recommend forgoing the free site if you're building an online store, as not all features are free.
Zero Coding Skills Required
To create websites with Zyro, you need to write a single line of code. It is made to be very user-friendly, so web design is easy, and you can get beautiful websites without much effort. To create websites and customize web pages, you just need a great design vision.
Another reason Zyro is considered a good alternative to Google sites is that this website builder makes fast-loading websites for free. Website speed testing sites such as webpage test gives Zyro sites great marks.
- Speed of loading is almost unparalleled
- AI tools are very useful
- Automatic SSL integration takes care of adding SSL for you
- Well responsive mobile and desktop website
- Very simple platform – perfect for beginners
- Many free images available for the site
- Customizability of design is slightly limited
Plans & Pricing
As a good alternative, Zyro offers free website plans but the paid versions are very affordable too. The Zyro pricing plans are as follows.
You get a custom domain, SSL security, AL tools, and increased storage with the paid options.
Why Zyro Is Better Than Google Sites
Zyro creates websites that load within microseconds – and many more design options than you'd get in Google Sites. It is simple like Google Sites, yet still a function-rich website builder.
Visit the Zyro website for more features and the latest deals…
… or check out my Zyro review
- Customizable open-source designs
- Large plugin library for different needs
- Great security – no patches or upgrades needed
- Community support
- Official website: www.wordpress.com
WordPress is one of the most popular google sites alternatives because you get to create your own free website. You can create websites easily with this website builder, and even the premium plans do not cost as much as the other building tools in this list.
Great Plugin Library
Apart from the built-in cms, WordPress has great plugins for any type of site imaginable. You can get a specialized plugin for your online shop, spam protection for your blog, and a security plugin for any website building requirement. A huge library of custom domains is also available.
This website builder is open-source, so you have full control over the web design using custom code. Your site will have completely custom databases. Different web pages, such as the landing page, can also be customized.
- On top of the great free site, the payment plans are very affordable
- Changes can be easily previewed before publishing to a site
- Has a great community you can learn from
- A good range of plugins for specific usage
- Extremely flexible in terms of site type
- Formatting content may be slightly difficult
- Has issues with larger images
- Steep learning curve, other CMS's are better
- Check out my WordPress vs Wix comparison
Plans & Pricing
As stated before, you can have your own site free of charge with WordPress, but the paid plans do have merits. They're very affordable too, so don't miss out if you want a useful & beautiful website.
Why WordPress Is Better Than Google Sites
With WordPress, you can put your design vision to good use with open-source codes. It is a good alternative website builder with lots of plugin options for any type of site website owners could envision, which you won't find with Google Sites.
Visit the WordPress.com website for more features and the latest deals.
- Intuitive, easy to use website editor
- Free web hosting
- Responsive & mobile friendly site
- Content management system
- Optimized websites for extra traffic
- 24/7 live support
- Useful product integration and plug-ins
- Official website: www.site123.com
Getting Started Is Straightforward
As you can guess from the name, making sites using Site123 is as easy as 1,2,3! It uses a three-step process to make websites, and the simple interface does not confuse or complicate things.
Intuitive & Responsive Website Templates
This site builder offers over 180 free templates that look like they have been made by professional designers. Because they are free, Site123 is considered a good alternative to Google sites.
The online editor is very easy to get the hang of, as the builder makes good use of the intuitive interface. Even the newest website owners can make a site without any problems.
You will get added resources if you choose to forgo the free site and pay for the premium. These features include an online payment system, display, and process unlimited product listing, social media add-ons, wish list feature, capture emails, Google analytics, and more.
- A good range of templates is available for free
- Useful product integration for social media, including Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter
- Easy to get started
- Robust e-commerce tools available
- Accepts payments through online wallets, which is flexible
- Only the most basic forms are free, so customization will require upgrading
Plans & Pricing
Following the simplistic route of this site builder, there are only two pricing plans – free and premium. The free variety is not the most customizable and lacks useful add ons. But it still offers enough features to be considered a good alternative.
Why Site123 Is Better Than Google Sites?
Building a website could not get any easier than using Site123. While the premium version unlocks its fullest potential, the free one is still a good alternative to Google sites because you can make a fully functioning website with it.
Visit the Site123 website for more features and the latest deals
- Makes single page websites without any coding
- Mobile actions such as ‘call' or ‘send email'
- Easy to use and feature-rich tools
- Responsive designs
- Built-in analytics
- Official website: www.strikingly.com
Make an Attractive One Page Site
Strikingly specializes in making one-page websites that are eye-catching and easy to make. The building interface is therefore highly customizable with lots of options.
Best Customer Support
Strikingly has an awesome team for customer support who are friendly, fast, and efficient. Websites require support very often, and the Strikingly team provides the best support you can get from a website builder.
Mobile Site Features
You can review how your site will show up in mobile, tab, and desktop view. You can also add mobile-specific features such as call or email – which is pretty cool. However, you do not get to change up how things show up on a mobile site, which is limiting.
- Enhanced mobile experience — thanks to the mobile actions
- You can change templates without having to rebuild
- Free tier is enough to get the feel of Strikingly
- Best for small business and personal use
- Not suitable for large multi-page websites
- Many normal features require you to buy a plan
Plans & Pricing
You can use the free mode to test out Strikingly's services, but for most standard and premium features, you can choose from these plans –
Why Strikingly Is Better Than Google Sites?
Despite being simple like Google sites, Strikingly lets you create a one-page website perfect for small businesses and simple blogging. It has responsive design and mobile site customization, which Google Sites doesn't.
Visit the Strikingly website for more features and the latest deals.
8. GoDaddy Website Builder
- One dashboard manages everything
- Built-in marketing options
- Flexible shipping options
- Sync inventory with orders
- One-the-go editing
- Official website: www.godaddy.com
GoDaddy Product Integration
This is the stand-out feature of the GoDaddy website builder – it allows you to take advantage of their other services related to websites.
You can add the GoDaddy appointments service, email and social media marketing, and use the content creator to make stunning visuals for your web page. With GoDaddy connections, you can make a database of your customers as well as subscribers.
GoDaddy's social media marketing makes it easy to manage several social media accounts. However, the email marketing feature is quite cumbersome to use.
Extremely Fast & Simple to Use
GoDaddy allows you to quickly customize their templates, get a domain and the host server, and publish a website in a matter of minutes. This is by far the fastest website builder I have come across.
While customization and user interface are easy and simple, GoDaddy is slightly restrictive and does not give you much creative freedom.
- Integration with GoDaddy's other services is useful
- Easy to design & edit
- Affordable pricing plans
- All-in-one business tools for a website
- Design and ecommerce features are quite restrictive
- Creative freedom is limited
Plans & Pricing
GoDaddy's premium plans include analytics, integration of GoDaddy's other services, email and social media marketing, flexible shipping & payments, etc.
Why GoDaddy Website Builder Is Better Than Google Sites?
GoDaddy is the one-stop solution for website building, hosting, and marketing. It provides a lot more advanced features than basic Google Sites, which helps you build a brand.
Visit the GoDaddy website for more features and the latest deals.
What Is Google Sites?
Google Sites is Google's own website builder that is meant for collaboration with your team. It uses a drag-and-drop system for simplicity. You can build websites with Google, but you cannot create a full-fledged blog or e-commerce store. Those are too complicated for Google sites – which sticks to free basic features.
Keep in mind that Google sites have two versions: the classic Google sites and the new Google Sites. In this article, we have mainly referred to the new Google Sites because the classic will be unavailable very soon.
- Free domain & web hosting
- Intuitive & minimalist user interface
- Specific templates with limited features
- Easy to use drag-and-drop tool
- Integrated with other Google Apps
Google Workspace Integration & Familiar Google Features
The new Google Sites is integrated with Google's other products, such as Google Drive, docs, sheets, slides, map, YouTube, Google Forms, charts, draw, etc. This makes it a really good site to use for collaboration among a small team, as all of Google's products can be used.
The features of Google sites also feel very similar, because they are organized in the same way Google's other services are. So, you can use it almost intuitively.
Very Little Customizability
Google Sites has only 12 free templates you can choose from – and the features are strictly limited to what is present in the templates. You do not get many options to customize anything in these templates, except the absolute basic things.
- Completely free to use
- Unlimited traffic, use, & websites
- Convenient because of G-suite integration
- Very easy to use
- Ideal for individual or small team projects
- Extremely limited design & digital marketing options
- No customized domain
Plans & Prices
Google Sites is completely free – you do not have to pay for any of its features.
What is Google Sites?
Google Sites is a simple tool for building basic websites that come included for free in Google's web-based Google Docs.
Can I make a website without learning to code?
Yes, of course, you can. Numerous website builders such as Zyro, Wix, Squarespace, etc., have been made to be very simple to use. It all depends on the website builder you choose.
How is the cost of a website determined?
The cost of a site depends on volume, customized content, customized graphics, programming, and design. You can use free options, just go through the reviews to find a good free alternative.
What does CMS mean?
CMS stands for content management system. To put it simply, it lets you update, add, or delete content to your own website without needing extensive programming knowledge.
What is the catch of a free website builder?
The catch for free sites is that very often, you will find that you are being limited in terms of either functions or customization.
Should I hire people to make my website?
No, you should not. Nowadays, there are many beginner-friendly good alternative website builders that are easy to get the hang of, some of which are also free. So, you can design websites on your own.
Google Sites Alternatives – Summary
While Google Sites is a free website builder for personal or small team projects, it does not offer all the functions needed to build a fully capable website. If price is an issue, then Wix is a good alternative for starting a blog or a store.
All of the featured services are the best Google sites alternatives because each has its area of strength that Google doesn't. Wix makes stunning websites for free, SquareSpace specializes in making the most aesthetically pleasing sites you have ever seen. Find out how Wix vs Squarespace stacks up against eachother.
Now, go ahead and choose a good alternative to Google Sites based on your own requirements from a website.
Create Your Stunning Website For Free!
From $14 per month