Navigating the web hosting landscape can be a challenge. In this article, we’ll demystify the choice between two popular options: Cloudways vs Nexcess. As an expert in digital solutions, I’ll compare their features, pricing, and performance to help you make an informed decision. Whether you’re a budding blogger or an established business, understanding the strengths and weaknesses of these platforms is crucial. Stay tuned for an insightful comparison.
In this article, we’ll compare Cloudways and Nexcess, two leading web hosting services. We’ll evaluate their features, price points, and performance to help you determine which platform best suits your hosting needs. Stay tuned for an unbiased, expert analysis of both providers.
Let’s go ahead and explore the strong and weak points of these two web hosting firms.
Cloudways' customer support is exceptional! They helped me resolve a complex issue with my website's DNS settings within minutes. Highly recommended! – Ahmed
Nexcess' customer support is amazing! They helped me optimize my website's performance and provided excellent advice. Highly recommended! – Sarah
Cloudways' cloud hosting plans offer excellent performance and scalability. Their tech support is always available to assist with any issues. Impressive! – James
Nexcess' managed hosting plans offer great value for the price. Their servers are fast and reliable, and their customer support is always available. Thumbs up! – Tom
I appreciate how user-friendly Cloudways' control panel is. It makes managing my website easy and stress-free. Good job, Cloudways! – Karen
I was impressed by Nexcess' commitment to sustainability. They offer carbon offsetting and renewable energy credits. Great choice for environmentally conscious web developers! – Rachel
This section explores the strengths and weaknesses of the customer support provided by Cloudways and Nexcess.
Cloudways excels with 24/7 live chat, ticketing, and robust online knowledgebase, but lacks phone support. Nexcess counters with 24/7 phone, email, and chat support, complemented by comprehensive guides and tutorials. Both provide excellent technical support, but Nexcess's round-the-clock phone support gives it an edge for immediacy and personal touch. So, for the full spectrum of customer support channels, Nexcess slightly outshines Cloudways.
- 24/7 Live Chat: Cloudways offers 24/7 live chat support. This means that you can get help from a support agent at any time of the day or night.
- Email Support: Cloudways also offers email support. You can submit a support ticket and a support agent will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Phone Support: Cloudways offers phone support for some regions. You can call a support agent and get help with your issue.
- Knowledge Base: Cloudways has a comprehensive knowledge base that covers a wide range of topics. You can find answers to your questions in the knowledge base.
- Tutorials: Cloudways also has a number of tutorials that can help you get started with their platform. These tutorials cover topics such as how to create a server, how to install an application, and how to manage your website.
- Community Forum: Cloudways has a community forum where you can ask questions and get help from other Cloudways users.
- 24/7/365 support: Nexcess offers 24/7/365 support via phone, chat, and email. This means that you can always get help when you need it, no matter what time of day or night it is.
- Responsive support: Nexcess's support team is known for being responsive. This means that you will usually get a response to your support ticket within minutes or hours.
- Thorough support: Nexcess's support team is known for providing thorough support. This means that they will not only help you to resolve your issue, but they will also explain the issue to you so that you can understand it and avoid it in the future.
- Friendly support: Nexcess's support team is known for being friendly and helpful. This means that you can feel confident that you will be treated with respect and that your issue will be resolved in a timely manner.
- Expert support: Nexcess's support team is made up of experts who are familiar with all aspects of web hosting. This means that you can be confident that you will get the help you need, when you need it.
- Knowledge base: Nexcess's knowledge base contains a wealth of information about web hosting. This includes articles, tutorials, and troubleshooting guides.
- Community forum: Nexcess's community forum is a great place to get help from other Nexcess users. You can ask questions, share tips, and collaborate on projects.
- Live webinars: Nexcess offers live webinars on a variety of web hosting topics. These webinars are a great way to learn about web hosting and to get your questions answered.
This section compares the technology features of Cloudways vs Nexcess in terms of web server infrastructure, SSD, CDN, caching, and more.
Cloudways offers a more robust technology stack with scalable server infrastructure, advanced caching mechanisms, SSD-based hosting, and a built-in CDN service. Nexcess has similar features, but their server capabilities and caching options fall slightly short. While Nexcess offers SSD storage, their CDN isn't included in basic plans. Considering these aspects, Cloudways comes out ahead with more comprehensive, inclusive offerings. Therefore, in the competition between Cloudways and Nexcess, Cloudways is the overall winner for me.
- Cloud Infrastructure: Cloudways offers a wide range of cloud infrastructure providers to choose from, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), DigitalOcean, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Linode, and Vultr. This gives you the flexibility to choose the provider that best meets your needs.
- Managed Hosting: Cloudways takes care of all the technical aspects of hosting your website, so you can focus on your business. This includes tasks such as server provisioning, security, backups, and maintenance.
- Caching: Cloudways offers a variety of caching solutions to improve the performance of your website. These include Memcached, Redis, and Varnish.
- CDN: Cloudways integrates with a number of content delivery networks (CDNs) to deliver your website's content to users around the world quickly and efficiently.
- Security: Cloudways takes security seriously. Your website is protected by a number of security features, including firewalls, intrusion detection, and DDoS protection.
- Monitoring: Cloudways monitors your website 24/7 to ensure that it is always up and running. You can also view real-time performance data to track the health of your website.
- Support: Cloudways provides 24/7 support via live chat, email, and phone.
- Staging Environment: Cloudways makes it easy to create a staging environment for your website. This allows you to test new features and changes before you deploy them to your live website.
- Team Management: Cloudways allows you to create teams and assign users to different roles. This makes it easy to manage access to your website and its resources.
- Pricing: Cloudways offers a variety of pricing plans to fit your needs. Plans start at $10/month for a 1GB droplet on DigitalOcean.
- auto scaling: Nexcess's auto scaling feature automatically deploys more PHP resources during traffic surges, ensuring that your website remains responsive even when it experiences a sudden increase in traffic.
- Cloud acceleration: Nexcess's cloud acceleration feature uses intelligent, dimensional caching to deliver your website's content as quickly as possible to visitors around the world.
- Customizable tech stack: Nexcess allows you to customize your tech stack to meet the specific needs of your website. This includes choosing the operating system, programming language, and other software that your website will use.
- PCI-compliant infrastructure: Nexcess's infrastructure is PCI-compliant, which means that it meets the strict security standards required for websites that handle credit card payments.
- Dev sites and staging: Nexcess allows you to create staging sites, which are copies of your production site that you can use to test changes without affecting your live website.
- 24/7/365 support: Nexcess offers 24/7/365 support via phone, chat, and email.
This section looks at the security features of Cloudways and Nexcess in terms of firewall, DDoS, malware, and spam protection.
Both Cloudways and Nexcess offer robust security features. Cloudways excels with its dedicated firewalls, regular security patching, and two-factor authentication. Nexcess counters with automatic plugin updates, DDoS protection, and spam prevention. While both platforms are secure, Cloudways stands out by providing a more comprehensive security approach. Hence, I believe Cloudways has a slight edge over Nexcess in terms of security features.
- Dedicated Firewalls: All Cloudways hosted servers are protected by OS-level firewalls that filter out malicious traffic and keep out the intruders.
- IP Whitelisting: You can whitelist specific IP addresses to allow only those IP addresses to access your website. This helps to prevent unauthorized access to your website.
- Malware Scanning: Cloudways scans your website for malware on a regular basis. If any malware is found, it will be removed automatically.
- SSL Certificates: Cloudways offers free SSL certificates for all websites hosted on their platform. This helps to protect your website's traffic from being intercepted by malicious actors.
- WAF: Cloudways integrates with a number of web application firewalls (WAFs) to protect your website from common web attacks.
- Two-Factor Authentication: You can enable two-factor authentication for your Cloudways account to add an extra layer of security.
- Regular Security Patches: Cloudways regularly patches their servers with the latest security updates. This helps to keep your website secure from known vulnerabilities.
- Firewall: Nexcess uses a firewall to protect your website from unauthorized access. The firewall blocks malicious traffic and prevents hackers from exploiting security vulnerabilities.
- Malware scanning: Nexcess scans your website for malware on a regular basis. If malware is detected, Nexcess will quarantine the infected files and notify you so that you can take action.
- Daily backups: Nexcess automatically backs up your website daily. This means that if your website is hacked or damaged, you can restore it from a backup.
- DDoS protection: Nexcess offers DDoS protection, which helps to protect your website from distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks. DDoS attacks are designed to overwhelm your website with traffic, making it unavailable to visitors.
- Two-factor authentication: Nexcess allows you to enable two-factor authentication for your account. This adds an extra layer of security to your account by requiring you to enter a code from your phone in addition to your password when you log in.
- Secure login: Nexcess uses secure login to protect your account. This means that your password is encrypted when you enter it, making it more difficult for hackers to steal.
- Secure file transfer: Nexcess uses secure file transfer (SFTP) to transfer files to and from your website. This ensures that your files are encrypted during transfer, making them more difficult for hackers to intercept.
This section looks at the performance, speed, and uptime features of Nexcess and Cloudways in terms of caching, SSD storage, CDN, and more.
Both Cloudways and Nexcess deliver commendable speed, performance, and reliability in web hosting. Cloudways excels with its innovative technology and rapid loading times, making it ideal for those prioritizing speed. However, Nexcess impresses with its consistent performance and robust reliability. It achieves an optimal balance between speed, performance, and uptime. Although Cloudways shines in certain areas, Nexcess's overall consistency makes it the winner in this head-to-head comparison.
- Cloud Infrastructure: Cloudways utilizes top-tier cloud providers like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), DigitalOcean, Vultr, and Linode, allowing users to choose the most suitable infrastructure for their needs.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN): Cloudways integrates with popular CDNs like CloudFront, Cloudflare, and StackPath to ensure faster content delivery and reduced latency for global visitors.
- Advanced Caching: They employ built-in caching mechanisms, including Redis and Varnish, to optimize website performance and reduce server response time.
- PHP 7 Ready Servers: Cloudways encourages the use of PHP 7 or higher, as it offers significant performance improvements over older versions.
- Managed Servers: Cloudways offers managed cloud servers, which means they handle server setup, configuration, security patches, and updates, allowing users to focus on their websites without dealing with server management.
- Vertical Scaling: Users can easily scale their server resources (RAM, CPU, storage) vertically, ensuring optimal performance during traffic spikes or high resource demand periods.
- HTTP/2 Enabled Servers: Cloudways supports HTTP/2, a more efficient and faster version of the HTTP protocol that improves website loading times.
- PHP-FPM: PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) is utilized for faster and more efficient processing of PHP scripts, resulting in improved PHP performance.
- Server Monitoring: Cloudways provides server monitoring that tracks server performance and ensures that any potential issues are promptly addressed.
- Automated Backups: Regular automated backups are available, giving users the option to restore their websites to a previous state in case of data loss or system failures.
- High Availability (HA): Cloudways offers High Availability through the use of dedicated and redundant resources, reducing the risk of downtime due to hardware failures.
- Speed: Nexcess uses a variety of technologies to ensure that your website loads quickly, including:
- Cloud-based hosting: Nexcess's servers are hosted in the cloud, which means that they are able to scale up or down to meet demand. This helps to ensure that your website's performance is not affected by traffic spikes.
- CDN: Nexcess uses a content delivery network (CDN) to cache your website's content on servers that are located closer to your visitors. This helps to improve the loading speed of your website for visitors from all over the world.
- Caching: Nexcess uses caching to store frequently accessed pages in memory. This helps to reduce the number of times that your website needs to access the database, which can improve performance.
- Performance: Nexcess uses a variety of technologies to ensure that your website performs well, including:
- Faster PHP: Nexcess uses a faster version of PHP, which can improve the performance of your website.
- Optimized MySQL: Nexcess uses an optimized version of MySQL, which can improve the performance of your website.
- Premium hardware: Nexcess uses premium hardware, which can help to improve the performance of your website.
- Uptime: Nexcess guarantees an uptime of 99.99%, which means that your website should be available 99.99% of the time.
Pros & Cons
In this section, we’ll be taking a closer look at Cloudways and Nexcess, two well-known hosting services. We’ll break down the pros and cons of each, giving you a clear overview of what they offer. So, let’s dive in and explore the ups and downs of these two hosting options.
Cloudways offers great flexibility, affordability, and user-friendly interface, ideal for beginners. But, support could be better. Nexcess delivers superior customer service, specialized in WordPress and Magento, but at higher costs. Cloudways' scalability and cost-effectiveness make it a winner for businesses seeking budget-friendly, flexible cloud hosting. However, for those prioritizing customer service and specialized hosting, Nexcess may be worth the extra investment.
- Easy cloud management with a user-friendly interface.
- Choice of reputable cloud providers for flexibility.
- Scalability to handle changing resource needs.
- Managed security and regular updates for peace of mind.
- Performance optimization with built-in caching and CDN.
- Free SSL certificates for improved security.
- Staging environment for testing website changes.
- 24/7 customer support for assistance.
- Pay-as-you-go pricing for cost-effectiveness.
- Intuitive control panel suitable for all users.
- No domain registration service.
- Limited focus on email hosting.
- Custom control panel instead of cPanel.
- Bandwidth limitations and potential additional charges.
- No root access to servers for advanced users.
- Pricing complexity as websites grow.
- Limited choice of data centers.
- Some third-party integration limitations.
- Speed: Nexcess's servers are hosted in the cloud, which means that they are able to scale up or down to meet demand. This helps to ensure that your website's performance is not affected by traffic spikes.
- Performance: Nexcess uses a variety of technologies to ensure that your website performs well, including faster PHP, optimized MySQL, and premium hardware.
- Uptime: Nexcess guarantees an uptime of 99.99%, which means that your website should be available 99.99% of the time.
- Security: Nexcess offers a comprehensive range of security features, including firewall, malware scanning, daily backups, and DDoS protection.
- Customer support: Nexcess offers 24/7/365 support via phone, chat, and email.
- Features: Nexcess offers a wide range of features, including auto scaling, cloud acceleration, dev sites and staging, and premium migrations.
- Price: Nexcess's plans can be more expensive than some other web hosting providers.
- Limited features: Some of Nexcess's plans do not include all of the features that are available on other plans.
- No long-term plans: Nexcess does not offer long-term plans, so you will need to renew your plan every year.
- Not beginner-friendly: Nexcess's dashboard can be a bit complex for beginners.
Check out how Cloudways and Nexcess stack up against other popular web hosting companies.
- HostGator vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs DreamHost
- Cloudways vs FastComet
- HostPapa vs Nexcess
- NameHero vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs Flywheel
- Hostinger vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs NameHero
- Cloudways vs WPX Hosting
- Scala Hosting vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs iPage
- Flywheel vs Nexcess
- WPX Hosting vs Nexcess
- InMotion Hosting vs Nexcess
- DreamHost vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs ChemiCloud
- iPage vs Nexcess
- Nexcess vs HostArmada
- Ionos vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs Nexcess
- GoDaddy vs Cloudways
- Cloudways vs GreenGeeks
- Cloudways vs InterServer
- Nexcess vs FastComet
- SiteGround vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs A2 Hosting
- Cloudways vs Scala Hosting
- Cloudways vs Ionos
- Rocket.net vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs HostArmada
- Nexcess vs ChemiCloud
- InterServer vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs HostPapa
- Cloudways vs InMotion Hosting
- Bluehost vs Cloudways
- GoDaddy vs Nexcess
- Cloudways vs BigScoots
- Nexcess vs BigScoots
- WP Engine vs Nexcess
- Bluehost vs Nexcess
- HostGator vs Cloudways
- A2 Hosting vs Nexcess
- GreenGeeks vs Nexcess
- Kinsta vs Nexcess