Your Internet-connected devices are some of the most important tools you have. Therefore, you have to protect your devices against viruses, malware, and any other types of malicious programs that want to steal your data and money. In this article, get the best Avira alternatives ⇣ to keep you safe and protected at all times.
In this article, you will learn about the top 7 Avira antivirus alternatives and you will find out how they compare.
- Bitdefender Total Security ⇣ – Best overall Avira alternative – Bitdefender Total Security is the best and most user-friendly antivirus software available right now. It offers excellent online protection at an affordale price (with discounts).
- Norton 360 Deluxe ⇣ – Runner-up best overall – If you want to have one of the best overall antivirus software in the market, you should consider Norton 360 Deluxe. It has top-notch protection against any type of viruses, malware, ransomware, and other types of online threats. It is not only antivirus software, but it also has a password manager, VPN, parental control, and dark web monitoring.
- Intego Mac Internet Security X9 ⇣ – The best Avira alternative for Mac – Macs get viruses too. And the best antivirus software for Macs are the ones that are specifically designed for them, like Intego Mac Internet Security X9.
- McAfee Total Protection ⇣ – Cheapest Avira antivirus alternative – McAfee Total Protection is a great antivirus software that protects an unlimited number of devices against viruses and malware for $69.99/year. It is a great choice for offices and families, why not..
Best Avira Alternatives in 2021
1. Bitdefender Total Security (Best all in one antivirus)
Bitdefender Total Security features
- Official website: https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/total-security.html
- VPN and Password manager included
- Parental control included
- Webcam and microphone protection
- Protection against almost any type of viruses and malware
Bitdefender Total Security is one of the best antivirus software available in 2021. It offers advanced malware protection plus a bunch of other internet security features, all from the same program.
Bitdefender Total Security works incredibly well on Windows, Mac, Android, and IOS devices and doesn’t impact their performance at all because of the Bitdefender Photon technology.
Bitdefender Total Security comes with more extra features than other antivirus programs.
With a variety of pre-designed, customizable funnels available, creating sales funnels is simple for anyone with any level of programming knowledge. It also offers email marketing.
- It offers protection against most types of threats
- It is affordable
- It does a great job protecting most operating systems
- It offers microphone and webcam protection
- Only 200 MB of VPN data
- Mac version has fewer features than Windows
Bitdefender Total Security is quite an affordable antivirus software that offers plenty of features for a competitive price. In the case that you are not satisfied with it, they have a 30 days money-back guarantee.
|Plan||5 Devices||10 Devices|
Is Bitdefender Total Security better than Avira Prime?
The most noticeable difference between the two is the price. Bitdefender Total Security starts at $39.89/year for 5 devices, while Avira Prime is $69.99 for the same conditions.
Also, Bitdefender has a limited VPN, but Avira doesn’t have parental control. In the rest, they have the same features. So, if you want a great antivirus software that offers a lot of features for an amazing price, you should choose Bitdefender Total Security.
Check out the Bitdefender website to see more about their tools, and latest deals.
2. Norton 360 Deluxe (Best overall alternative)
Norton 360 Deluxe features
- Official website: https://us.norton.com/products/norton-360-deluxe
- Real-time threat protection for your devices
- VPN, Dark web monitoring and Password manager included
- 50 GB cloud backup
- Privacy monitor
Norton is a well-known brand in the antivirus market that provides a wide selection of antivirus software.
However, Norton 360 Deluxe is one of its best feature-rich, all-in-one antivirus software that is a great choice for almost anyone who wants to be protected against any type of viruses and malware.
Norton 360 Deluxe protects Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices without slowing them down and promises you a 100% malware protection guarantee which I am sure it actually does.
I consider Norton 360 Deluxe a great antivirus software because it offers amazing protection for your devices and it has dark web monitoring, all of that for a very competitive price.
Another reason why Norton 360 Deluxe is a great antivirus software is that it has a free unlimited built-in VPN and password manager, so you won’t have to pay additional for one.
- Great malware protection
- Free 50GB online storage
- Unlimited Free VPN
- Parental Control
- It is getting more expensive the second year of usage
Norton 360 Deluxe protects up to five devices for $49.99 for the first year. The price becomes $104.99/year after that.
Is Norton 360 Deluxe better than Avira Prime?
Lab testing shows that Norton 360 Deluxe can identify more online threats than Avira and even zero-day attacks. Norton has dark web monitoring, which Avira doesn’t.
When it comes to pricing, Norton is cheaper for the first year of usage, but it is getting more expensive the second year of usage. At this point, it’s up to you if you want to pay extra for the second year. I think that Norton is a better choice if you want top-notch protection and dark web monitoring.
Check out Norton's website to see more about their tools, and latest deals.
3. McAfee Total Protection (Best antivirus for dark web monitoring)
McAfee Total Protection features
- Official website: https://www.mcafee.com/en-us/antivirus/mcafee-total-protection.html
- It has VPN included
- 24/7 chat support
- Password manager, Identity Theft Protection and Dark web monitoring
McAfee is an amazing antivirus software trusted by tens of millions of users worldwide. What makes it so great is its extreme protection that blocks almost any type of viruses and malware to infect your devices without affecting their running speed.
Another reason why McAfee Total Protection is one of the best antivirus software in the market is its Identity Theft Protection that searches the dark web for your private information, such as your SSN, address, and credit card info.
If it finds any of that information on the dark web, you are immediately informed about it. However, this feature is only available in the US.
Aside from being a powerful all-in-one platform, McAfee also offers a 30-day free trial that allows you to use the majority of its features for free, but with some restrictions. However, those tools are sufficient for establishing a successful online business.
- Amazing protection against viruses
- It comes with a built-in VPN and password manager
- It has dark web monitoring
- The dark web monitoring feature is only available in the US
- It doesn’t have microphone and webcam protection
- Find good McAfee alternatives here
|Number of Devices||Price (First year)|
McAfee Total Security is a solid choice for people who are looking for reliable antivirus software that won’t break the bank.
Although McAfee Total Security seems to have a very low price the first year, its price increases the years after that. McAfee Total Protection also has a 30 days money-back guarantee.
How does McAfee Total Security compare to Avira Prime?
One of the main differences between the two is that McAfee Total Security has dark web monitoring, even though it is only available in the US. They both offer very good antivirus protection and come with similar features.
The biggest difference is the price. McAfee Total protection could be installed on an unlimited number of devices for the same price as Avira Prime costs for 5 devices. If you want great and affordable antivirus software for an office, you should consider McAfee Total Security.
Check out the McAfee website to see more about their tools, and latest deals.
4. Kaspersky Internet Security (Best antivirus for safe online shopping and banking)
Kaspersky Internet Security features
- Official website: https://www.kaspersky.com/internet-security
- Created to secure your online payments and banking info
- A two-way firewall is used to improve the security
- Webcam protection
- Protects your computer from sophisticated online threats such as ransomware and data theft
If online banking protection is one of your priorities, Kaspersky Internet Security is the antivirus software for you. With Kaspersky Internet Security, you could make safe online purchases without worrying about being scammed or having your banking information stolen.
Outside of outstanding online banking protection, Kaspersky Internet Security protects your Windows, Mac, and Android against any type of malware, ransomware, spyware, viruses, and even zero-day attacks.
Kaspersky Internet Security features rich antivirus software that offers a password manager, parental control, and VPN on top of top-notch Mac-specific viruses, malware, and online banking protection.
What I also like about Kaspersky Internet Security is that it highlights the malicious links to inform you about unsafe websites.
- Amazing protection against all types of viruses and ransomware
- Webcam protection
- Allows you to do online shopping with full confidence
- Three layers defense engine
- Limited VPN which could be upgraded to Unlimited VPN for about $30/year
- It doesn't have dark web monitoring
- It doesn’t support IOS devices
|Plan||1 Device||2 Devices||3 Devices||5 Devices||10 Devices|
I consider Kaspersky Internet Security a very solid choice for anyone who wants to be safe online.
Is Kaspersky Internet Security better than Avira Prime?
Kaspersky Internet Security comes better than Avira Prime at protecting your devices against any online threats.
Kaspersky is the best choice for banking info protection in the market today. If you care about that, you should choose Kaspersky Internet Security because their pricing is very similar.
Check out the Kaspersky website to see more about their tools, and latest deals.
5. Intego Mac Internet Security X9 (Best antivirus for Mac)
Intego Mac Internet Security X9 features
- Official Website: https://www.intego.com/antivirus-mac-internet-security
- Mac network protection
- Mac antivirus protection
- Easy to use
A few years ago, people used to say that Macs don’t need antivirus software because they are protected against any type of viruses and malware. I’m sorry to break it to you, but Macs need antivirus.
One of the best antivirus software in the market today specifically created for Macs is Intego Mac Internet Security X9.
Intego is one of the first companies to offer Mac-specific antivirus programs. It has been doing it since 1997 and has become one of the best Mac antivirus software providers since then.
Intego Mac Internet Security X9 is capable of detecting any type of viruses and malware that could attack your Mac and destroy them without slowing it down.
- Easy to use
- 100% Mac antivirus protection
- Doesn’t slow down the Macs
- Although it could be used for Windows devices for a premium of $10/year, the Windows version is not as effective at combating viruses and malware
- It doesn’t have microphone and webcam protection
- It is just an antivirus program, and it doesn’t have VPN or password manager
|Plan||1 Device||3 Devices||5 Devices|
|Dual Protection (Mac and Windows)||$10 extra||$10 extra||$10 extra|
Intego Mac Internet Security X9 is the best antivirus for Macs, and it has a very competitive price. Of course, it might not have a lot of features, but it outstandingly does its job – protecting Macs from viruses and malware.
How is Intego Mac Internet Security different from Avira Prime?
The only difference between Intego Mac Internet Security X9 and Avira Prime is that Intego works better for Macs and Avira works better for Windows. It all depends on whether you have a Mac or PC.
Check out the Intego website to see more about their tools, and latest deals.
6. TotalAV Total Security (Easy to use suite of online protection tools)
TotalAV Total Security features
- Official website: https://www.totalav.com/product/total-security
- Easy to use
- Detects phishing URLs
- Real-time protection
- Preset viruses and malware scans
TotalAV Total Security is one of the easiest-to-use antivirus software in the market, and it works incredibly well on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices without impacting their operating speed.
Protecting your devices against viruses, malware, ransomware, and spyware is TotalAV Total Security’s priority, and it does it amazingly well.
TotalAV Total Security is not just an antivirus program. It also has a VPN, password manager, and an ad blocker. It also allows you to easily delete all the duplicate files from your devices.
- Easy to use interface
- Includes a suite of tools that keep you safe online
- It is actively updated to offer the best protection every day
- It has a 7-day free trial and a 30 days money-back guarantee
- It doesn’t have parental control
- There are a few upsell attempts while purchasing it
- It is more expensive the second year
TotalAV Total Security has only one plan available at the moment, and it is $59/year for the first year to protect up to 6 devices. It might sound like a bargain, but it will cost more in the second year.
What is the difference between TotalAV Total Security and Avira Prime?
TotalAV Total Security is very similar to Avira Prime because they have almost the same features such as VPN, password manager, ad blocker, and PC cleaner.
They cost the same for the first year, but TotalAV costs more the second year. They are both great antivirus programs, but Avira Prime offers a better deal for multiple devices
Check out the TotalAV to see more about their tools, and latest deals.
7. BullGuard Internet Security (Best antivirus for online gamers)
BullGuard Internet Security features
- Official website: https://www.bullguard.com/products/bullguard-internet-security.aspx
- Game Booster
- Parental control
- Safe Browsing
BullGuard has been the best antivirus software choice for online gamers for years.
BullGuard Internet Security is not an exception either. What makes it so good for online gamers is the Game Booster feature that allows gamers to automatically direct more CPU power to the game while they are playing.
This feature also blocks any notifications while you are playing games to not distract you. Although this feature makes your games run smoother and quicker, it doesn’t compromise your device’s viruses and malware protection.
BullGuard Internet Security is a powerful antivirus software that protects Windows, Mac, and Android devices against all types of viruses, malware, and even zero-day attacks.
Its Safe Browsing feature checks every link and highlights the dangerous ones to keep you away from accessing dangerous websites or becoming a victim of phishing scams
- Its price doesn’t increase the second year
- It has a 30 days money-back guarantee
- Detects zero-day attacks
- It doesn’t support IOS devices
- Some of its features don’t perform as well on Mac as they do on Windows devices
- VPN has to be purchased separately
|Number of Devices||3 Devices||5 Devices||10 Devices|
|Price for 1 year||$59.99||$83.99||$140.99|
|Price for 2 years||$99.99||$134.99||$225.99|
|Price for 3 years||$119.99||$167.99||$281.99|
What is the difference between BullGuard Internet Security and Avira Prime?
BullGuard is a better choice for you if you enjoy playing online games. BullGuard comes with Game Booster, which is an important selling point for online gamers.
When it comes to pricing, BullGuard is slightly more expensive, and VPN is not included, but it has amazing protection against all types of viruses and malware.
Check out the Bullguard website to see more about their tools, and latest deals.
What is Avira?
Avira Prime features
- Official website: https://www.avira.com/en/prime
- Email protection
- Ransomware protection
- Web protection
- VPN and Password manager
- Deletes duplicate files
Back in the day, Avira used to be the best antivirus software in the market, and this gained some popularity until today.
Nowadays, Avira is still one of the best antivirus software in the market, but it’s not perfect anymore. Avira Prime is its top version that comes with everything Avira has to offer. This includes a VPN, a password manager, and some other features.
Avira is a great choice for people who want affordable antivirus software that does a great job protecting Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices.
Avira Prime can identify dangerous links while browsing on the Opera browser and protect you against ransomware, and phishing scams.
One area where Avira Prime excels is system optimization. This means that it automatically fixes small issues like printer, WiFi connection, and some other network issues. It also comes with a webcam and microphone protection.
- It has VPN and password manager
- It detects malicious links in emails attachments
- Its antivirus protection isn’t perfect more
- It doesn’t have parental control
- Safe Browsing only in Opera
|Plan||1 Year||2 Years||3 Years|
Avira Prime is recommended for people who want to have antivirus software that can detect most viruses, malware and protect you against phishing scams.
What is Avira?
Avira (Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG) is a German internet security company making antivirus software. Avira makes both free versions (Avira Free Security) and paid versions (Avira Prime).
What are the best Avira alternatives?
The best competitors to Avira's antivirus software are Bitdefender, Norton (best PC alternatives), and Intego (Mac alternative).
Is the more expensive antivirus software better?
In most cases, they come with more features than cheaper ones, such as dark web monitoring, firewall, and promise a better level of protection. If you care about having those, they are worth it for you.
Are the cheaper alternatives worth it?
Yes, they are. Most antivirus providers offer cheaper antivirus software for people for whom antivirus protection is important but don’t want to spend a lot of money on it. They might not have advanced features, but they offer very good protection.
Can more people share the same antivirus subscription?
Yes, they can. A single subscription could be used by more people (families, couples, offices) as long as they don’t exceed the number of licenses included.
Could I use the same antivirus software for Mac and Windows?
Yes, you could. However, Mac-specific antivirus software is recommended for Macs, but other types work well too.
I hope that you have found this article informative and you have identified the best Avira alternatives for you. Please note that the antivirus software providers included in this article offer other antivirus software as well. For this article, I have selected the versions that offer the best features and value.
Not all antivirus software is created the same. They all have different features and offer different types of protection. It is important to choose a reliable one that offers all the features you want and top-notch protection.
- Bluehost Review (Still The Best Cheap Web Host?)
- SiteGround Review (Still the Best Web Host For Speed & Security?)
- Fastest WordPress Themes in 2021
- How To Install & Configure WP Rocket (Recommended Settings)
- Elementor vs Divi (WordPress Page Builder Head-to-Head Comparison)
- Why I Switched To SiteGround (and Why You Should Do it Too!)